Lifestyle & Belief

Director Tony Scott's death ruled suicide


British director Tony Scott arriving with his family on the red carpet for the premiere of the film 'Unstoppable' at the Regency Village Theater in Los Angeles on October 26, 2010.



LOS ANGELES -- Famed British film director Tony Scott had anti-depressants and a sleep aid in his system when he fatally jumped off a bridge on August 19th, an autopsy report showed. 

The Los Angeles County Coroner's report released Monday showed that Scott did not have any serious medical conditions, including cancer, when he ended his life.

The Los Angeles Times reports that there were widespread rumors after Scott's death suggesting that he had brain cancer. 

His family denied the reports and have not given any indication of why Scott ended his life. 

The "Top Gun," and "Crimson Tide" director had a "therapeutic level" of an anti depressant called Mirtazapine, which is sold under the brand name Remeron, as well as the sleep aid Lunesta in his bloodstream at the time of his death, reports the New York Daily News. 

The coroner officially ruled the death was a suicide caused by "multiple blunt force injuries" and drowning.

"The multiple blunt force injuries would be from striking the water," Chief Coroner Investigator Craig Harvey told the Daily News.

Scott, brother of director Ridley Scott, climbed a fence on top of the Vincent Thomas bridge and jumped into Los Angeles Harbor on Aug. 19.

Witnesses recalled calling 911 to report seeing Scott on top of the bridge, reports Fox News.

“We are just on the Vincent Thomas Bridge and there’s a guy that looks like he’s just about to jump off … he’s jumped, he’s jumped, [off] the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro!” said one anonymous caller.

His body was pulled out of the water several hours later by Los Angeles Port Police divers.

Investigators found a note in Scott's black Toyota Prius, which was parked on the bridge, that listed contacts to be informed of his death. A suicide note was later found at his office but offered no explanation for his suicide, reports the Los Angeles Times. 

According to E! online, Scott was cremated in August and his wife, Donna, took possession of his ashes. A private funeral was held Aug. 24.