A McDonald's restaurant allegedly continued to serve burgers to customers after a woman died of a heart attack, diners claimed.
Croatian media reported that the body was covered with a white sheet and remained in the restaurant in Sibenik, Croatia, for an hour-and-a-half while staff continued to take orders for food.
According to The Sun, one customer said: "No-one closed the restaurant, which would normally have been done at any other place, especially a fast food restaurant."
A police spokeswoman said: "Police were notified of the fatality about 7.45pm, and the coroner took the body about 9pm. We did not order the closure of the restaurant but at this point we cannot say for sure if food preparation was happening."
Restaurant officials have claimed local media exaggerated the incident. It denies witness accounts, and said it was only the drive-thru section that remained operating while they waited for mortuary staff. They also said that the main restaurant - where the body was - had been closed to customers.
The Daily Mail reported that the woman had complained of chest pains while at the restaurant with her husband on Sunday night. She collapsed and died.
It said the unnamed woman's corpse is said to have been covered for about 90 minutes while diners remained inside and drive-in customers remained oblivious to it.
According to the Daily Mail, the incident has sparked outrage, with staff criticised for continuing to serve drive-through customers after she was declared dead.