Luka Rocco Magnotta, 'Canadian Psycho,' tells judge he won't fight extradition (VIDEO)


In this still from CCTV footage, Luke Rocco Magnotta is seen entering the internet cafe in Berlin where he would be arrested two hours later.


Associated Press

BERLIN, Germany — Luka Rocco Magnotta went before a judge here today in connection with the murder in Montreal of Chinese student Jun Lin.

Magnotta, 29, was arrested in Berlin yesterday after fleeing Canada 10 days ago. Canadian authorities are expected to ask that he be extradited as soon as possible.

More from GlobalPost: 'Canadian Psycho' arrested in Berlin

This afternoon's hearing was to confirm that the suspect's arrest and detention were lawful, the QMI Agency reported

Magnotta did not appear in court; instead, a judge visited him in the Berlin police station where he was held overnight, the Canadian news wire said.

The suspect stated that he would not fight his extradition, a police spokesman told the Associated Press.

That means Magnotta could return to Canada within the week, the AP said. 

He is wanted on five separate charges, according to the Globe and Mail: first-degree murder, causing an indignity to a body, corrupting morals, using the mail system to deliver "obscene, indecent, immoral or scurrilous" material, and harassing Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

More from GlobalPost: Luka Rocco Magnotta leaves trail in Paris

As one of Interpol's most-wanted suspects, Magnotta must remain in custody until his extradition, Reuters said. He has been moved from the police station to a prison in Berlin following today's hearing.

According to CBC News, he chose to spend last night in solitary confinement rather than be placed with other prisoners. 

Meanwhile more details are emerging of his arrest. CCTV footage obtained by the AP (below) shows Magnotta walking into the Helin internet cafe in Neukoelln, south-east Berlin, yesterday afternoon.

Cafe employee Kadir Anlayisli said he thought the customer looked familiar, and went online to investigate; when he looked back at Magnotta, Anlayisli told reporters, "he was checking the same web page that I had just checked."

Anlayisli says he went outside and hailed a passing police car. In the surveillance footage, seven police officers can be seen entering the cafe and leading Magnotta away in handcuffs. He apparently gave them a few fake names before eventually conceding: "You got me."