A senior Libyan rebel commander in Tripoli has demanded an apology from Britain and the U.S. following the discovery of documents that show MI6 and CIA involvement in an operation that led to his torture.
British Prime Minister David Cameron on Monday said he supported an investigation into claims that MI6 officials were involved in the rendition of Libyan terror suspects.
This comes after reports said Human Rights Watch workers discovered documents in Tripoli that reveal foreign intelligence agencies helped abduct terror suspects to be sent to Libya between 2003 and 2004.
Rebel commander Abdel Hakim Belhaj says he arrested in Bangkok in 2004, and then transferred to a prison in Libya – where he was tortured.
The Guardian reported that one document quoted a senior MI6 officer boasting to the Libyans about how British intelligence led to Belhaj's capture.
Belhaj told the BBC:
What happened to me and my family is illegal. It deserves an apology. And for what happened to me when I was captured and tortured.
For all these illegal things, starting with the information given to Libyan security, the interrogation in Bangkok.
While intelligence officials did not witness his torture, Belhaj said they did interview him afterwards.
Belhaj was reportedly released from Abu Selim Prison earlier this year during an amnesty announced by Gaddafi.
Britain's Foreign Office said the government did not comment on intelligence matters.