Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev walking again, tells mother he is innocent

20130419-boston-lockdown-04.jpg

In this image released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) on April 19, 2013, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19-years-old, a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing is seen.

Credit:

Handout

The surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect has recovered enough from his injuries to start walking again and is protesting his innocence, his mother told the Associated Press.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev walked without the assistance of a wheelchair to speak by phone to his mother Zubeidat Tsarnaev, who is living in the Russian republic of Dagestan, last week.

The AP said Thursday it was the first time the 19-year-old had spoken to his mother since his arrest over the April 15 attack, which left three people dead and hundreds more injured.

Dzhokhar and his older brother, Tamerlan, who was killed in a shootout with police, have been accused of planting the bombs near the marathon finish line.

Tsarnaev, who is being held in a prison hospital, could face the death penalty if he is found guilty.

During the phone call to his mother, Tsarnaev said he and his brother were innocent.

"I could just feel that he was being driven crazy by the unfairness that happened to us, that they killed our innocent Tamerlan," she said.

More from GlobalPost: Katherine Russell, widow of Boston bombing suspect, hires criminal defense lawyer
 

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }