Tunisia announced that it had arrested a 28-year-old man suspected of being linked to the US consulate attack in Benghazi last month, which killed US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
Harzi's lawyer, Ouled Ali Anwar, told the Associated Press that the suspect was arrested in Turkey earlier this month and repatriated on Oct. 11. Anwar said Harzi had been told by a judge on Tuesday that he was charged with "membership of a terrorist organization in a time of peace in another country."
A source told the AP that Harzi's dossier showed prosecutors linking him to the attacks on Sept. 11 on the US consulate.
CBS News cited a US government official saying that investigators in America were reviewing footage of the attack from a security camera.
Harzi could face up to 6 to 12 years in prison for the charges, according to the anti-terrorist law which was implemented in 2003 in Tunisia.
More on GlobalPost: Ani al-Harzi, Benghazi suspect, extradited to Tunisia: Report
Meanwhile, another gunman suspected of being involved in the Benghazi attack was killed in a fire fight with security forces in Cairo, Egypt on Wednesday, according to Egyptian newspaper Egypt Independent.
The Egyptian Interior Ministry described the man as a "terrorist," and said he threw bombs at the security forces before his death.
Officials said weapons and explosive materials were found on the suspect's property, according to the BBC.
Egyptian authorities, who identified the man simply as "Hazem," claimed that they had information implicating him in the Benghazi attack.
The suspect's burned body was found on the property, according to officials.
More on GlobalPost: Ahmed Abu Khattala, suspected leader of Benghazi attack, denies involvement