An Italian father who was killed in the Barcelona attack Thursday died in front of his wife and two young children, who narrowly escaped harm when a van plowed into tourists.
Bruno Gulotta, 35, was one of two Italian nationals killed in Thursday's Islamist attack on Las Ramblas, which left 14 people dead and over 100 injured. The State Department revealed that one American was among those killed and at least one was among the wounded.
The other Italian victim was 25-year-old Luca Russo, whose girlfriend was one of three Italians injured in the attack.
"Italy will remember Bruno Gulotta and Luca Russo and expresses its solidarity with their families," Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni said in a tweet. "Freedom will triumph over barbarism and terrorism."
The death of Gulotta was announced by computer company Tom's Hardware, for whom he worked in sales and marketing.
"Our friend and colleague Bruno Gulotta was run over and killed by an odious terrorist in the heart of Barcelona," a statement on the company website read.
Paying tribute to the kindness and generosity of their co-worker, Gulotta's colleagues said his violent death had left his wife Martina facing "trials no-one should have to bear".
"We put ourselves in the shoes of little Alessandro, who is about to start elementary school knowing his and his family's life will never be the same again. And we think of baby Aria ... who will never know her Dad."
Italian media reported that Bruno had been holding 5-year-old Alessandro's hand just before he was hit by the van.
Martina, who had 1-year-old Aria in a sling-style baby carrier, was reported to have told friends that she had managed to pull her son out of the way.
The family, from Legnano, near Milan, were on holiday in the Catalan city.
Russo was also on vacation, accompanied by his girlfriend. Originally from the Dolomites mountain area, he graduated in engineering last year from Padova university and had just begun his career, working for a company specialised in refrigeration.
His sister Chiara posted pictures of her smiling brother on Facebook, alongside images of his prone, blood-stained body on the streets of Barcelona.
"Help me to bring him home, I beg you," she wrote.
Police continue their investigation into the attack. They now say the driver who launched the attack could be among five suspects shot dead overnight by security forces in a nearby seaside city.
Responding to a question on whether the driver was among those killed, Josep Lluis Trapero of Catalonia's police said "the investigation points in this direction," adding there were "clues" that this was the case but no "concrete proof." Three out of the five suspects have been identified so far.
The attack affected people of at least 34 different nationalities.
The dead and injured came from countries as varied as France, Venezuela, Australia, Ireland, Peru, Algeria and China:
A woman from the eastern Belgian town of Tongres, visiting Barcelona with her family, was killed, the Belgian foreign minister said.
A 74-year-old Portguese woman was among the dead, according to the government.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson announced that one American was among the dead, but not other details have been released as yet.
France appears to have the most injured in the attack. Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian gave a total of 26 wounded, including 11 seriously, while Interior Minister Gerard Collomb later said as many as 17 were gravely hurt.
Foreign ministry spokesman Martin Schaefer said 13 Germans were injured in the Barcelona attack, some of them "fighting for their lives".
He said he could also not rule out that there may be Germans among the dead.
A family of four Irish citizens needed hospital treatment after the attack, Dublin said. The parents were originally from the Philippines, and Manila said its honorary consul in Barcelona had been to check on them.
British Prime Minister Theresa May said in a televised address that "a number of British nationals were caught up in the attack," but provided no other details on the number of wounded.
She also mentioned that authorities "are urgently looking into reports of a child believed missing, who is a British dual national".
Three Dutch people were wounded, all of whom are out of danger, the government said.
There are two Belgians among the wounded, one in a serious condition, according to Foreign Minister Didier Reynders.
Three wounded — two men aged 33 and 42 who are in a stable condition in hospital and another who suffered only minor injuries.
Three wounded, according to the Australian government.
Two children wounded along with their mother, who has German nationality. The father was unhurt but is in shock, Greek officials said.
REST OF EUROPE:
One person each from Hungary, Macedonia, Austria and Turkey was wounded.
Two Taiwanese were wounded as well as one person from Hong Kong.