Texas executes second man over the fatal shooting of abductee during convenience store robbery


The Texas death chamber in Huntsville.


Joe Raedle

Texas has executed a second man over the fatal shooting of a man he and a partner abducted during a convenience store robbery nearly 11 years ago.

Richard Cobb, 29, used a 20-gauge shotgun to kill Kenneth Vandever in an East Texas field where two women, store clerks Candace Driver and Nikki Ansleym also were shot and one was raped, according to the Associated Press

Cobb and his accomplice, Beunka Adams, were convicted of capital murder.

Adams was executed for the crime in 2012, Reuters wrote.

The pair had robbed BDJ's convenience store in Rusk wearing masks and demanded money.

KWTX cited testimony at Adams' trial as showing that he gave the orders during the holdup and initiated the abductions.

However it was Adams demanded who that Vandever and one woman get into the car's trunk while the pair raped the other woman.

He then forced all three abductees to kneel as they were shot.

Vandever died immediately, while the women were kicked and shot again before Cobb and Adams, believing they were dead, fled.

However both were alive, and one was able to run to a house to call for help.

Cobb, who was 18 at the time had appealed to the Supreme Court, arguing that his death sentence was based on false testimony by a state witness.

A statement of the case included in a court filing by Cobb's lawyer said:

"Mr. Cobb has never disputed his involvement in the crimes, but explained that he acted out of fear of Adams, who orchestrated the crimes."

Asked if he had any last words, according to the AP Cobb said: 

"Life is death, death is life. I hope that someday this absurdity that humanity has come to will come to an end. Life is too short. I hope anyone that has negative energy towards me will resolve that. Life is too short to harbor feelings of hatred and anger. That's it, warden."

After being injected with a lethal drug, however, he added:

"Wow! That is great. That is awesome! Thank you, warden! Thank you [expletive] warden!"

He then fell silent and was pronounced dead 15 minutes later.