Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza had not spoken to his mother in three days


The Connecticut school massacre gunman Adam Lanza spent hours playing violent video games such as Call Of Duty in a windowless bunker in the family home, family friends claim.

Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza had not spoken to his mother, Nancy, in the three days leading up to his rampage, a family friend has claimed. 

The New York Daily News reported Adam became angry with his mother when she suggested he stop hiding in his room playing video games and go out into the world to interact with people. 

She also wanted her 20-year-old son to find a job. 

"He sat in his room playing video games for hours and hours,” the friend told the newspaper.

“She thought the best thing was for him to get out of the house and into the world. To interact with people a little bit.”

But he was against the idea and stopped speaking to his mother, the friend said.

Three days later Lanza shot his mother four times as she lay in her bed and then drove to Sandy Hook Elementary School where he gunned down 20 children and five staff members. 

New information about how the shootings took place emerged Wednesday.

Police said that after killing principal, Dawn Hochsprung, and school psychologist Mary Scherlach, when they attempted to stop him entering the school grounds, he headed to a first grade classroom where Kaitlin Roig had barricaded the terrified children in the bathroom, the Christian Science Monitor reported.

Lanza shot both teachers, and then killed all 14 children one by one.

He then walked to a second classroom where teacher Victoria Soto had hidden some children in a classroom cupboard.

CBS News reported the 27-year-old tried to distract Lanza, but when six of her class tried to run, they were shot along with Soto.

Police believe the killings only ended because Lanza heard the sirens and turned the gun on himself.

More from GlobalPost: Did StarCraft turn Adam Lanza into a killer?

A family friend rejected media reports Wednesday that his mother was planning to have him committed to a psychiatric hospital.

Fox News cited an unnamed senior law enforcement official saying on Wednesday that anger at plans for “his future mental-health treatment” were being investigated as a possible motive, Christian Science Monitor reported.

While these reports remain heresay, what does seem clear is that Nancy Lanza was becoming increasingly concerned about her son's mental state.