Mali man killed by Islamic radical group in public execution


A picture taken on July 16, 2012 shows fighters of the Islamist group Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa (MUJAO) sitting in the courtyard of the Islamist police station in Gao. A group of armed youths has arrived in Gao from Burkina Faso, joining hundreds of other young African recruits who have come to sign up with radical Islamists controlling the northern Mali town. The new batch of youths will join others from Senegal and Ivory Coast milling about in the scorching heat in the courtyard of a building the jihadists have made the headquarters of their Islamic-law-enforcing police.

BAMAKO — Radical Islamists in northern Mali killed a man by firing squad after he was accused of murder.

This public killing is being seen as the latest demonstration by Islamists of their intention to impose their strict interpretation of Sharia law, BBC News said.

According to Al Jazeera the man was shot in the back in front of 600 people but did not die for several hours, a resident, Oumar Maiga, said.

Sanda Ould Boumana, a spokesman for Ansar Dine, the armed group that controls Timbuktu, told Reuters the executed man "turned himself in" and his case was then heard in a public space in front of "judges".

She was quoted as saying: "He was judged, condemned to death and executed this evening. He was shot in the same way he shot his victim. This is what Sharia says."

The executed man was himself a member of the group, she said. 

Northern Mali has been overrun by Islamist and Tuareg rebels following a coup in Bamako in March.

The group has since imposed Sharia law in many of the areas under their control, despite strong opposition from the local Muslim population.

AFP reported the public execution happened around 5:30 pm yesterday. 

"I saw him fall after the shots were fired," one witness said.

The Huffington Post reported in July, a couple who had an adulterous relationship was stoned to death in the town of Aguelhok.

A resident of the northern city of Kidal, who had spoken to witnesses, said the man and woman were buried up to their necks, then pelted with stones until they died.