Lifestyle & Belief

Cat gets accidentally euthanized at vet


The cat was taken to the vet for a routine flea bath was put to death.


WPA Pool

A woman is grieving the loss of her beloved cat, Lady, after it was mistakenly put to death by the vet.

Colleen Conlon, of Gardner, in Massachusetts, claims her 8-year-old cat was taken to the vet for a flea bath but ended up dead.

She alleges the vet at Broadway Animal Hospital, Muhammad Malik, was negligent but Malik's lawyer says people should wait until the facts are heard before passing judgment, ABC News reported.

Conlon's 24-year-old son, Jesse, took Lady to the animal hospital last week and unknowingly authorized the cat to be put to sleep after he says he was handed the wrong forms, media reports claim.

He told the Telegram & Gazette, he learned of the mix-up when he returned with a second cat and the vet asked whether he wanted to keep the body.

"At first he thought it was some cruel joke," Conlon told the Telegram & Gazette.

Colleen Conlon said Dr. Malik had her son sign some paperwork he thought was routine the day he dropped off her cat for a flea bath. 

Conlon has filed a complaint with the state attorney general's office. She said she also plans to talk with state licensing officials.

"I don't think there was any malicious intent, but I do think it was negligent," Conlon said.

"I'm sure there are standards of practice they have to follow."

Conlon's daughter had given her the cat about a year before she was killed in a car accident two years ago.

Malik's lawyer, Michael Sheridan, said his client was experienced and well-respected, and he asked that people wait until the facts are uncovered.

“He's treated thousands of animals keeping them healthy and strong,” Sheridan told local media.