A prisoner found dead over the weekend at the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was identified as Adnan Farhan Abdul Latif, 32, of Yemen.
According to CNN, US Southern Command released his named Tuesday after notifying his family. Latif, who had been detained in Guantanamo since January 2002, was found unresponsive in his cell Saturday afternoon during a routine check. He later died at the hospital.
An autopsy was conducted, CNN also noted, but it will be some time before results are released. The cause of death is under investigation, but Southern Command Sgt. Shanda De Anda said suicide has not been ruled out.
More from GlobalPost: Guantanamo detainee found dead
During his decade at Guantanamo, Latif repeatedly went on hunger strike and once slashed his wrist and threw blood at his lawyer, reported the Associated Press. He received mental health treatment at the detainee hospital, according to his lawyers and court documents.
The AP also noted that the government had accused Latif of training with the Taliban in Afghanistan, but he had never been charged. The military said there were no plans to prosecute him.
According to Latif's lawyer David Remes, he had attempted suicide several times.
"He was so fragile, he was so tormented that it would not surprise me if he had committed suicide," Remes told Reuters. "However you look at it, it was Guantanamo that killed him."