The US Military announced today that a Guantanamo Bay prisoner was found dead by guards on Saturday.
"While conducting routine checks, Joint Task Force-Guantanamo guards found the detainee unconscious and unresponsive. The guards immediately performed first aid and summoned medical personnel to the scene," the Southern Command said, according to Reuters.
So far no information on the deceased has been released.
Military officials said they are withholding personal information "pending notification of the detainee's government and family," according to Politico.
The military's press release also stated:
"As is standard procedure, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service has initiated an investigation of the incident to determine the cause and manner surrounding the death."
The Associated Press points out that since the controversial prison became operational in January 2002, 6 reported suicides and 2 deaths by natural causes have occurred.