As the 11th anniversary of 9/11 approaches, the memorial museum of the terrorist attacks will not be ready in time, as New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Governor Andrew Cuomo continue to bicker over the museum's costs.
The $1 billion 9/11 museum at ground zero is still in limbo between the two politicians' offices, as they attempt to sort out who will be responsible for the operating costs and who will oversee the museum and memorial, the New York Times reported.
The issue is further complicated because the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey owns the actual site of the memorial, which means New Jersey Governor Chris Christie also needs to sign off on any agreement reached.
Meanwhile, families of the victims are getting increasingly frustrated, as the memories of their loved ones and the day hang in the balance.
"Without a museum, it's a travesty," Edie Lutnick, who lost her brother on 9/11, told NECN. "Without a museum, this memorial doesn't teach you anything. It doesn't tell them anything about what happened on that day. It doesn't tell them anything about the people who were murdered there."
More from GlobalPost: Obama remembers 9/11 victims in weekly address (VIDEO)
Construction on the museum has been stalled for nearly a year after early discussions between Bloomberg and Cuomo fell apart, the Times reported. The politicians reportedly began circulating proposals late last week in the hopes of finally solving the standstill.
"It would be catastrophically sad if they can’t find a solution,” Ira Millstein, a board member of the Sept. 11 foundation and a prominent commercial lawyer, told the Times. “They really ought to sit down in a room and look at each other. It can’t be solved with e-mails."
Joe Daniels, the 9/11 Memorial and Museum President, said that if construction was able to begin soon, the museum could be open in time for next September 11th.
"The museum was supposed to open this year. And we understand that it has to happen," Daniels told NECN. "We want it done as soon as possible."
More from GlobalPost: Politicians banned from this year's Sept. 11 ceremony
Twitter reacts to the 9/11 museum's delays: