Washington DC Chick-Fil-A shooter pleads not guilty (VIDEO)


Local and federal investigators gather evidence after a security guard was shot in the arm at the headquarters of the Family Research Council on Aug. 15, 2012, in Washington, DC.


Chip Somodevilla

The leading suspect in the Aug. 15 Washington, DC Family Research Council shooting has pled not guilty, reported CNN, the latest news in a rash of shooting-related reports.

Suspect Floyd Lee Corkins II was indicted on three counts on Wednesday, reported GlobalPost via the Associated Press, which include possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, interstate transportation of a firearm and ammunition, and assualt with intent to kill while armed. 

The Washington Post reports Corkin has been found pyschologically competent to stand trial. 

Corkin apparently attacked the Family Research Council to express his displeasure with the lobbying group's conservative politics, reported the Associated Press. Washington DC's ABC 7 network has a great report on the shootings.

When captured, Corkin allegedly had 15 Chick-Fil-A sandwiches in his backpack, an allusion to the Chick-Fil-A controversy that swept the nation this month. 

Read more from GlobalPost: Accused Family Research Council shooter Floyd Corkins indicted

The Family Research Council's website says the organization "promotes the Judeo-Christian worldview as the basis for a just, free, and stable society," adding that the FRC "champions marriage and family as the foundation of civilization, the seedbed of virtue, and the wellspring of society."

Corkins' not-guilty plea occurs as authorities continue to investigate the aftermath of a dramatic early-morning shooting at the Empire State Building in New York City — and only a month after the Aurora shooting in Colorado. 

Read more from GlobalPost: 2012 Summer Shootings: Empire State Building violence the latest in a series of attacks

Leonardo R. Johnson, the security guard wounded in the Family Research Council shooting, has been released from the hospital, according to the Washington Post.

Johnson was shot in the arm when he attempted to wrest Corkin's weapon away from him. The Washington Post reports that DC police called Johnson a "hero."