Egypt delays election results


Supporters of Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohammed Mursi celebrate in Cairo's Tahrir square on June 18, 2012 after Islamists claimed victory in Egypt's first free presidential vote since its uprising. Army-backed rival Ahmed Shafiq, who served as prime minister to deposed dictator Hosni Mubarak, disputed the announcement with one of his campaign officials saying their figures showed Shafiq leading in the count.



The election results for Egypt's presidential election were delayed due to the Supreme Elections Commission looking into complaints presented by the candidates, Egyptian state media reported.

According to the BBC, results were scheduled to be announced on Thursday, but there were some 400 complaints filed and no date had been set to announce the results.

Tensions continued to rise as both candidates, Mohammed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood and former prime minister Ahmed Shafiq, declared victory, reported the Associated Press.

The Muslim Brotherhood claimed that there was an organized campaign against Morsi, said the AP.

More on GlobalPost: Muslim Brotherhood back on the defensive, a role it's familiar with

The election commission said in a statement that it had "decided to continue viewing the candidates appeals and completing examine them which requires viewing some records and rolls related to the electoral process which requires more time before announcing the final result," according to The New York Times.

Morsi claimed to have won the vote with 52 percent of the vote last weekend, while Shafiq, who was Mubarak's last prime minister, claimed he won with 51.5 percent of the vote, said The Times.

More on GlobalPost: Is Mubarak dead?

Egypt has been in turmoil since the generals dissolved Parliament last week and issued an interim constitution, entrenching their powers.

The situation was further complicated by conflicting reports of deposed President Hosni Mubarak's failing health. Late on Tuesday, state media reported that he was "clinically dead," later retracting the news. The Guardian said the latest reports suggested that Mubarak's health was deteriorating but he was taken off life support following a stroke and cardiac arrest.

Thousands of protesters were gathered in Tahrir Square to protest against the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, according to the BBC.

More on GlobalPost: The Army, The People...