At least 11 people have been killed and 30 more have been injured in a bombing attack in Somalia, BBC News reported today. The attack occurred in the Somali town of Baidoa. It is the second bomb attack to occur in Somalia in less than a week.
Abdifitah Mohamed Gesey, the governor of Baidoa, told the BBC that the bomb was planted in a small basket and hidden in a market. Gesey blamed the attack on the al-Shabab Islamist militia group.
In February, Ethiopian troops seized Baidoa from al-Shabab. No organization has taken responsibility for the attack so far, the BBC said.
More from GlobalPost: Promises, pitfalls await investors in Burma’s frontier
Al-Shabab insurgents, however, did claim responsibility for the bomb that occurred in Somalia last Wednesday, Reuters reported. In that case, the suicide bomb went off in a theatre in Mogadishu, killing at least six people.
On Friday, Reuters reported that the earlier theatre bomb had also ruined many locals' hopes for a more peaceful country.
"Whenever we get a sniff of peace, explosions take place, wiping out any new-found sense of pleasure," a local kiosk owner told Reuters.
In this more recent bombing, most of the victims were women and children, News24 reported.
"This was a disaster," a witness told News24. "I saw several dead bodies of at least nine civilians, most of them women - the explosion occurred as people were shopping."