Lifestyle & Belief

Indian Supreme Court orders trial for parents of murdered teen


Indian students participate in a support demonstration for late Aarushi Talwar in Ahmedabad on January 30, 2011. Aarushi was found with her throat slit and battered skull at her residence in the town of Noida on May 16, 2008 and the body of family helper Hemraj was discovered a day later.



India's Supreme Court ruled Friday that the parents of New Delhi teenager Aarushi Talwar must stand trial for her murder, supporting a lower court's finding against the couple's motion for dismissal.

The ruling sets the stage for another round of media circus, despite the glacial pace of the Indian justice system, as one of the most talked about crimes in India over the past decade moves toward a verdict.

Here's the recap from The Hindu:

The 14-year-old Aarushi, the only daughter of the Talwars, was found dead with her throat slit at the family’s Noida residence on the intervening night of May 15-16, 2008 and the body of their domestic help, Hemraj, was found on the terrace the next day.

The investigation in the case was initially carried out by the the Uttar Pradesh police which had arrested Aarushi’s father Rajesh Talwar on May 23, 2008.

The probe was subsequently handed over to the CBI on May 29, 2008 and Mr. Rajesh Talwar was granted bail by the Ghaziabad court on July 11, 2008.

The CBI after probing the murder for over two-and-half years had filed its closure report in the case in the Ghaziabad Special CBI court, saying it had been unable to find out any evidence to prosecute the Talwars.

The Ghaziabad trial court, however, had rejected the CBI closure report, saying there was enough prima facie material in the agency’s report to put the couple on trial for their alleged involvement in the twin murders and had issued summons to them to face trial.

The magistrate took cognisance of the case and summoned Talwars on February 9, 2011.

Mr. Rajesh and Ms. Nupur had subsequently gone to the Allahabad High Court, which had dismissed their pleas to quash the trial court summons and the proceedings initiated against them.

The Talwar couple then approached the apex court which had on March 19 last year stayed the trial against them.