The commander of Syria’s armed rebels threatened Tuesday to escalate attacks against government forces, after growing frustrated with the inability of Arab League monitors to halt a 10-month old crackdown on anti-regime protestors, Reuters reports.
"If we feel they (the monitors) are still not serious in a few days, or at most within a week, we will take a decision which will surprise the regime and the whole world," the head of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), Colonel Riad al-Asaad, told Reuters in an interview.
A team of monitors arrived last week to ensure the government of president Bashar Al Assad is implementing an Arab League peace initiative by withdrawing troops from key cities and releasing prisoners detained in the uprising.
But Reuters says it counts 192 killed since the mission arrived, and Syrian activists say the bloodshed continues. The United Nations says more than 5,000 people have been killed so far.
Earlier today, a natural gas pipeline was attacked near Homs, at the epicenter of the uprising, reports CNN. But both rebels and government forces blamed the other for the attack, according to United Press International.
Read GlobalPost's encounter with the rebel Free Syria Army (FSA) here.