SOUND ENGINEER, STUDIO 360
Studio 360 with Kurt Andersen seeks a creative, skilled, and highly motivated professional for the position of Sound Engineer -- an innovative audio designer who creates a surprising and delightful listening experience every week. S/he will have an integral role in defining the sound, style and identity of the program; will demonstrate strong editorial judgment and technical mastery of recording, editing and mixing; and will thrive in a collaborative, deadline-oriented environment.
About Studio 360
Studio 360 is public radio's smart and surprising guide to what's happening in pop culture and the arts. Each week, Andersen introduces you to the people who are creating and shaping our culture. Life is busy — so let Studio 360 give you new and different ideas for a movie this weekend, the next book for your nightstand, or the song that will change your life. Studio 360 also gives listeners a chance to get their creative juices flowing with regular listener challenges. Produced by PRI.
Studio 360 seeks a creative, skilled, and highly motivated professional for the position of Sound Engineer for Studio 360 with Kurt Andersen, the weekly national program about creativity, pop culture, and the arts. The show is a production of Public Radio International in association with Slate. The Sound Engineer should be an innovative audio designer who creates a surprising and delightful listening experience every week. S/he will have an integral role in defining the sound, style and identity of the program. S/he will demonstrate strong editorial judgement when creating and editing content; technical mastery of recording, editing and mixing; and will thrive in a collaborative, deadline-oriented environment. The Sound Engineer reports to the Executive Producer and serves as technical lead of the show, responsible for setting and maintaining the audio standards for the program.
Position is based in Studio 360's production offices in Brooklyn, New York.
- Operate a control room/production booth for all broadcast activities including pre-production and post-production engineering and mixing
- Engineer interviews and recordings (in-studio and in the field)
- Edit interviews and host continuity
- Assemble and mix segments and promos
- Sound design, mix and master the show
- Select music for transitions and scoring throughout the show
- Create original sonic stamps for the show, branding series and projects
- Manage digital delivery of show via distribution systems (Content Depot, Megaphone, etc.)
- Manage equipment inventory; serve as technical liaison with Slate and Panoply.
- Maintain and manage audio archive for the show
- Ability to work extended hours as needed, including some evenings and weekends, and to be on-call for emergencies is a requirement
- Work on special projects and other duties as assigned
- Comply with all PRI and Slate department policies and guidelines
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum five years professional audio production required
- Knowledge of broadcast standards and practices
- ProTools expert; mastery of audio editing
- Field and studio recording experience required; knowledge of a wide range of microphones and recording equipment; experience with recording live music a plus
- A great ear and creativity with sound design; musical background preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail in all aspects of engineering, post-production and digital distribution
- Effective time management and ability to work quickly under deadline
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written and the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships to gain trust and respect
- Proven ability to thrive in a dynamic environment and work as a team player
- Stay current on programs being produced by competitive publishers and production companies
- Familiarity with public radio required; experience working on a radio program or podcast preferred
- Familiarity with podcasting platforms
- The ability to compose original music for show transitions, and scores for specific stories
- Experience with Ableton, Native Instruments or other music software
- Thick skin and a top-notch sense of humor
Studio 360 is committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. We encourage everyone to apply.
Please submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Public Radio International must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy.
Public Radio International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.