Are you a professional media producer who finds most of your news and fresh ideas on social platforms and reads deep into online comments and chats? Have you been part of a team that uses social to share fact-based stories and loves adding gifs, graphics, emojis, videos and Snapchat filters to posts? Do you admire public radio reporting? If so, we have a cool and important job for you with Public Radio International’s social media team.
You’ll join the talented journalists behind PRI.org, PRI’s The World and Global Post’s coverage and social channels. You’ll shape our social reporting and engage with three quarters of a million followers. You’ll represent the audience as we make coverage decisions and you’ll create stories about how online social movements, memes and conversation are influencing the world. From our Across Women’s Lives coverage on gender equity to Global Nation coverage on identity and diversity in the US, you’ll help shape an international conversation on issues that matter.
PRI is a global non-profit media company focused on the intersection of journalism and engagement to effect positive change in people’s lives. We are creating a more informed, empathetic and connected global community by inspiring people to understand the world’s cultures, issues and events. Each day, we share powerful stories, encourage exploration and create connection by combining content and engagement opportunities to effect change. We are looking for diverse, passionate, and adventurous individuals that want to work in an innovative environment. If you are interested in making a difference in the world, please consider applying for this position!
Essential responsibilities include:
- Works with PRI.org’s editors and social team to design and implement the engagement strategy for PRI, PRI’s The World and GlobalPost social properties.
- Works with social media team for day-to-day writing and editing of social posts to maximize shares, clicks, conversation and engagement.
- Moderates comments and serves as a host for our communities to ensure discussions, particularly on Facebook, meet our guidelines, respond to follower comments and inquiries.
- Uses tracking tools, data and graphics to analyze user behavior, track success of our tactics, and show progress toward goals.
- Increases the diversity of PRI audiences by collaborating with and highlighting content from communities under-represented in media.
- Creates and hosts social events (including live video) based on our coverage that deepens our content and engages our fans.
- Stays up-to-date on changes in social tools, algorithms and platforms, and guides continual experimentation in our social tactics.
- Undergraduate degree required.
- At least three years of full-time experience as a digital media producer, preferably in news.
- At least one year of responsibility managing social media strategy, tactics and tracking.
- Demonstrated record of building an online community with daily conversation moderation.
- Skill at creating widely-shared, multimedia posts for Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.
- Experience setting aggressive goals and working in a culture that values constant experimentation in tactics, data-driven evaluation of success and quick execution.
- Experience with team-based social media management and tracking tools.
- Wide knowledge of online sites covering global news, issues and cultures for diverse audiences.
This position is based at PRI's newsroom in Boston.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, work samples, a brief assessment of The World's social media profiles and links to your relevant social media profiles to email@example.com.
PRI embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity employer!
PRI: Hear a different voice™.