Late on Oct. 4, Verona’s local council approved a motion “to prevent abortion and sustain maternity,” which allows the use of public money to fund vehemently anti-abortion Catholic organizations and encourages doctors to dissuade women from aborting. The coalition of center-right councilors also tried and failed to present a motion that would require all aborted fetuses to be buried in a cemetery, even without the consent of the woman involved.
The proportion of women in the Kaga's 450-strong crew is about 9 percent, a level Japan is targeting for the military overall by 2030 — up from 6 percent now. That would still fall short of U.S., where 15 percent of people in uniform are women, and Britain with 10 percent.
In a Facebook post, the World Surging League announced that women surfers will receive equal pay at all events from 2019. In the world of surfing — a sport and culture long dominated by men — this is a monumental development.
Lawrence Alatrash fled his homeland in 2012, not only because of the developing Syrian civil war but also because of safety concerns due to his sexual orientation and gender identity. Now, at 25, he has the freedom to openly express his true self for the first time.
Wars leave behind scars. Emotional ones. Physical ones. And for years, in Afghanistan, the physical ones were the ones surgeons fixed. But in the past couple of years, there’s been a boom in cosmetic surgery.
The Russian government has now adopted new amendments to an education bill that will make minority languages lessons in ethnic republics optional, and which limit their teaching to a maximum of two hours a week.