Widespread strikes over pension reform shutdown France
President Emmanuel Macron's promise to reform France's pension system triggered massive protests and strikes around the country Thursday. And, a nationwide measles outbreak has closed businesses and schools in Samoa. Also, the European Union has declared "balsamic" a general term, striking down the attempt by vinegar makers in Modena, Italy, to have the label exclusively for themselves.
The World is a public media news program that relies on the support of listeners like you. Donate today during our NewsMatch campaign and have your donation doubled.
- French workers hit the streets over pension reform December 05, 2019
- When France is on strike, bring out the bikes December 05, 2019
- As racist incidents mount, European soccer officials vow to do more December 05, 2019
- Tax-exempt atheists December 05, 2019
- Giuliani meeting former Ukrainian officials in Europe December 05, 2019
- Italian 'Sardines' march against far-right December 05, 2019
- Measles prompts total shut-down of Samoa December 05, 2019
- Berlin politicians and property investors tussle over rent freeze December 05, 2019
- Burkina Faso Islamist terrorism December 05, 2019
- Balsamic vinegar for all December 05, 2019
- Japanese humanitarian killed in Afghanistan December 05, 2019