US embassy in Baghdad attacked
Protesters attacked the US embassy in Baghdad, Iraq, on Tuesday in reaction to US airstrikes there. What is the symbolism of protesters breaching the compound, the largest and most expensive embassy ever built? Also, LGBTQ rights have seen both progress and setbacks over the last 10 years. Some countries have surprised activists by writing protections into law, while other countries have enforced regulations and further restrict their LGBTQ citizens. Plus, communities in Bermuda and Eastport, Maine, ring in the New Year with nontraditional ball drops. How are people ringing in the new year elsewhere around the world?
The World is a public media news program that relies on the support of listeners like you. Donate today during our NewsMatch campaign and have your donation doubled.
- Iraqis storm US embassy in Baghdad December 31, 2019
- Reflections on a year in the streets December 31, 2019
- French strikes continue December 31, 2019
- Taking the night train in Europe December 31, 2019
- Internet shutdowns around the world December 31, 2019
- What else drops on New Years Eve, besides the Time Square ball? December 31, 2019
- An album of Latin pop made our top ten December 31, 2019
- An LGBTQ rights advocate looks back on the 2010s and ahead to a new decade December 31, 2019
- Intersex woman flees Zimbabwe for America December 31, 2019
- Japan's Ode to Joy December 31, 2019
- Sydney’s New Year celebrations overshadowed by raging bushfires December 31, 2019
- A decade defined by nonviolent protest December 31, 2019