Like what you’re reading? This is your chance to support the high-quality, nonprofit, international news you read here. And when you make a gift now, and your donation will be matched.
Trump signs Hong Kong human rights act
President Donald Trump signed a plan to authorize sanctions on Chinese and Hong Kong officials responsible for human rights abuses in Hong Kong. This move signals support for pro-democracy activists, but it could make for some tricky negotiations with Beijing. Also, new pressures are being put on America’s inland hydro highway — the Mississippi River — which helps deliver US goods and commodities to the world and allows trade flows to return. With record precipitation earlier this year, the strain on the river system was severe, a strain that's only becoming more acute, and normal, with the impacts of climate change.
The World is a public media news program that relies on the support of listeners like you. Donate today during our NewsMatch campaign and have your donation doubled.
- Trump in Afghanistan November 28, 2019
- Beijing lashes out at the US November 28, 2019
- TikTok apologizes after taking down video about Uighur detention camps November 28, 2019
- Thankfulness and the foreign service November 28, 2019
- The Mississippi: Pushed to the brink November 28, 2019