Learn more about who we are by visiting theworld.org/whoweare.
Help us reach our goal of 1,000 donors today!
Donate $100 or pledge $8.33/month to receive an invite to a virtual party with Marco Werman and The World team!
Protesters take to the streets of Poland over abortion court ruling
For five days straight, thousands have taken to the streets of cities across Poland to protest a court ruling on abortion. The country’s Constitutional Tribunal last week outlawed abortion in all but the most exceptional of circumstances. And, Germany has been pretty successful containing the coronavirus and also getting students back into classrooms. But in southern Germany, two counties are going into lockdown because cases there are spiking again. Also, Sacha Baron Cohen's iconic character Borat has been at the center of many controversial moments. Now with a new "Borat" film out, Kazakhstan has embraced the fictitious Kazakh journalist’s catchphrase: “Very nice” and turned it into the country’s tourism slogan.
Support The World during our fall fundraiser! Nonprofit journalism depends on your philanthropic support. Be one of the 1,000 people to donate $100 or pledge $8.33 a month to receive a special invitation to a virtual party with Marco Werman and the team at The World! Thank you for your support. Donate here.
- ‘Screaming at the priests’: Polish activists protest anti-abortion ruling October 27, 2020
- Swedish study finds that the Republican Party has moved toward illiberalism October 27, 2020
- This piece by a former music teacher with dementia will make you cry October 27, 2020
- What the US election means for Keystone XL construction in Canada October 27, 2020
- The ‘Borat’ sequel is out. So, what does Kazakhstan think? October 27, 2020
- Germany’s schools try to stay open as another round of coronavirus lockdowns takes effect October 27, 2020
- Iran ramps up COVID-19 restrictions October 27, 2020
- Haiti’s cholera victims seek justice from UN October 27, 2020
- Armenians mobilize to support troops in Karabakh war, as ceasefires fail October 27, 2020