Number of lockdowns grows as countries try to counter the coronavirus
About a fifth of the world's population is now under some sort of lockdown to try to contain the spread of the coronavirus. At the same time, China has announced it will be lifting the restrictions on people in Wuhan and the surrounding province of Hubei, where the virus was first identified. And, in states like California, in shelter-in-place mode because of the coronavirus, farmworkers are considered essential. The farmworkers still go out and work, but there are increasing concerns about their safety on the job. Also, Verdant Spirits, based in Dundee, Scotland, is switching production from gin to hand sanitizer in the wake of coronavirus and hopes to produce more than 100 gallons of hand sanitizer gel.
Our coronavirus coverage has never been behind a paywall.
No paywalls, ever.
Your donations help us make our nonprofit journalism available to everyone.
- WHO fills gaps to fight COVID-19 in countries with weaker health systems, says spokesperson March 24, 2020
- Internet restrictions make it virtually impossible for Kashmiris to get COVID-19 info March 24, 2020
- UK lockdowns March 24, 2020
- For this young Latina voter, pandemic highlights the need for 'Medicare for All' March 24, 2020
- British sports commentator gives mundane play-by-play March 24, 2020
- Safety for California farmworkers March 24, 2020
- Turkey underplaying coronavirus threat March 24, 2020
- US cuts financial aid to Afghanistan March 24, 2020
- Iconic distilleries turn to hand sanitizer production around the world March 24, 2020
- Australia detained this family on a remote island — alone March 24, 2020
- Manu Dibango died on Tuesday March 24, 2020