NAFTA gets an update
In an era of extreme partisanship in Washington DC, Democrats and Republicans cooperated to get a trade deal done updating the North American Free Trade Agreement. US President Donald Trump hailed the new US-Mexico-Canada Agreement as "the best and most important trade ever." House speaker Nancy Pelosi said it was "much better than NAFTA." But what about the views from Mexico and Canada? Plus, which countries are taking the lead at the international climate conference in Madrid right now? And, in Mexico City, a new portrait of Mexican revolutionary Emiliano Zapata has caused a firestorm of outrage. Why? Well, it portrays Zapata in a seductive pose, clad only in a pink sombrero and high heels.
The World is a public media news program that relies on the support of listeners like you. Donate today during our NewsMatch campaign and have your donation doubled.
- NAFTA 2.0 is here December 11, 2019
- A Canadian view of the new trade deal December 11, 2019
- Migrant workers in North America December 11, 2019
- Will anyone step up to lead on climate? December 11, 2019
- Seoul’s subsidized housing gives newlyweds a new lease on the future December 11, 2019
- New Zealand volcano eruption December 11, 2019
- US spending in Afghanistan fueled rampant corruption, reports say December 11, 2019
- Protesters storm museum in Mexico City over painting December 11, 2019
- Facebook content moderators sue over psychological trauma December 11, 2019
- The U visa is supposed to help solve crimes and protect immigrants. But police are undermining it. December 11, 2019