The Kremlin cracks down on critics
The Kremlin cracks down on its critics. Meanwhile, in the former Soviet republic of Ukraine, there’s an effort playing out to hold accountable local politicians accused of wrongdoing. And Sandra the orangutan from Argentina was granted nonhuman "person" rights in 2014. Now, she has found a place to enjoy her personhood: the Center for Great Apes in Florida. It took an unprecedented act of international cooperation to get her there.
The World is a public media news program that relies on the support of listeners like you. Donate today during our NewsMatch campaign and have your donation doubled.
- Russia opposition crackdown December 26, 2019
- Ukraine is 'sending a very clear message to corrupt elites' December 26, 2019
- ‘Ring of Fire’ solar eclipse sweeps Asia December 26, 2019
- Typhoon Phanfone rips through the Philippines on Christmas December 26, 2019
- First orangutan with 'nonhuman' rights December 26, 2019
- Raging Christmas Eve fires in Chile destroy dozens of homes December 26, 2019
- Seals as scientists December 26, 2019
- What can the US learn from the conflicts in Syria and Afghanistan? December 26, 2019
- ‘Pang!’ makes our favorite music list for 2019 December 26, 2019