Embassy attack testing US and Iraq relationship
The attack on the US Embassy in Baghdad is testing the diplomatic relationship between the United States and Iraq. Also on this special New Year's Day edition, we take a deep dive into the Arabic typewriter. It's a tale of two inventors: His whole life, Walid Waked had been told that his great-grandfather invented the Arabic typewriter. And then, one day, he learned that another family — the Haddads — believed they invented it. We unravel the mystery. Also, we're going on another dive, this one into ice. Jill Heinerth is an underwater explorer and filmmaker who has gone scuba diving in places most of us can barely imagine, including going inside a massive iceberg in Antarctica. That iceberg dive captured dramatic images, but came with great risk.
The World is a public media news program that relies on the support of listeners like you. Donate today during our NewsMatch campaign and have your donation doubled.
- A turning point in the US-Iraq relationship January 01, 2020
- Iraq lacks 'national leadership, a clear vision and hope,' says Iraqi businessman January 01, 2020
- New Year’s Day around the world January 01, 2020
- Diving into an Antarctica iceberg January 01, 2020
- A tale of two inventors of the Arabic typewriter January 01, 2020