Deadly knife attacks at a church in France
A series of knife attacks on French citizens at the Notre Dame Basilica in the Mediterranean city of Nice on Thursday prompted the government to raise its security alert status to the maximum level. And, much of the chocolate that trick-or-treaters eat this weekend will have come from cocoa farms in West Africa that use child labor. Also, Japan's prime minister this week announced a goal of making the country carbon-neutral by 2050.
Support The World during our fall fundraiser! Nonprofit journalism depends on your philanthropic support. Be one of the 1,000 people to donate $100 or pledge $8.33 a month to receive a special invitation to a virtual party with Marco Werman and the team at The World! Thank you for your support. Donate here.
- France reels after new terror attacks October 29, 2020
- Reactions to terrorism in France from Muslims October 29, 2020
- Saudi Arabia hosts G20 summit amid calls for boycott October 29, 2020
- Activists see Greek ruling against Golden Dawn as model for fighting extremism October 29, 2020
- What will the end of the pandemic look like? October 29, 2020
- Could lifting patents speed up access to life-saving COVID-19 drugs? October 29, 2020
- Japan’s climate past and future October 29, 2020
- Big chocolate companies use child labor. Can a 1789 US law hold them accountable for violations abroad? October 29, 2020
- Sounds from Jamaica October 29, 2020