Togo tragedy sparks security concerns

Player utilities

Listen to the story.

The World's William Troop reports that South African officials are fending off questions about security at next summer's soccer World Cup. Concerns about security for the tournament have been raised following a machine gun attack on Togo's national soccer team at a tournament in Angola.

JEB SHARP: The national soccer team of Togo was supposed to be in Angola today. The Togolese were one of the teams that qualified for the African Cup of Nations. The tournament's being played in Angola but the Togolese are no longer taking part. They withdrew from the tournament after the team bus was hit in a deadly ambush. The World's William Troop has this update.

WILLIAM TROOP: Togo's team was attacked by men wielding machine guns. Separatist rebels from the Angolan enclave of Cabinda have since claimed responsibility. Three people were killed. They were Togo's assistant coach, a press spokesman, and an Angolan bus driver. That was Friday. Today Togo's national team captain, Emmanuel Adebayor, is still in shock.

EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR: This one was one of the bad moments in my life. You know to be honest emotionally it's very difficult to explain. It's very difficult to talk about.

TROOP: Adebayor is one of the reasons this incident has gotten so much attention. He's a top level international star who plays professionally with England's Manchester city. The notion that a big star like Adebayor could have been killed on his way to an international match has shocked fans world wide. The first reaction for many was that the tournament should be cancelled. But that didn't happen. Soccer's powers that be decided the show must go on. Sepp Blatter is the head of World Soccer's governing body, FIFA.

SEPP BLATTER: Don't forget that we have organized last year three competitions in Africa with no incidents. We have been in Egypt. We have been in Nigeria. We have been in South Africa. So therefore it is also hope that football is stronger than any attack. And that's why the African Cup of Nations must go on.

TROOP: And so it does except for the Togolese team. But the incident in Angola has prompted questions about security for the next big soccer tournament scheduled to be held in Africa. That would be the World Cup which kicks off in South Africa in June. Today the head of South Africa's organizing committee, Danny Jordaan, rejected any parallels betweens the two countries.

DANNY JORDAAN: The event of Angola has absolutely nothing to do with South Africa and absolutely nothing to do with the World Cup in South Africa.

TROOP: Jordaan said he's confident about security for the World Cup in South Africa and he said it's unfair to raise questions about the tournament based on what happened in a different African nation. Jordaan said that wouldn't be tolerated elsewhere.

JORDAAN: If there is a security breech in Finland you're not going to ask England to explain.

TROOP: And Jordaan said, South Africa should be judged on its own record. He noted that the country has staged several high profile sports tournaments since the end of apartheid in 1994. That includes a rugby World Cup, a cricket World Cup, and soccer's Confederation's Cup just last year. All went off without any major security incidents. For The World I'm William Troop.