Digital Executive Editor, The World
The World is a leading American journalism franchise covering global issues on public radio, podcasts and online. The World delivers journalism that is consequential, influential and high-profile. Produced by the combined public media innovators, PRI and PRX, in partnership with the BBC World Service and WGBH, The World reaches more than three million listeners across North America each week and 1.5 million on-line. Our newsroom in Boston is a place where passion and curiosity meet global politics and culture. We strive to tell deeply human stories in creative and innovative ways.
As a member of the leadership team of The World, the Digital Executive Editor charts the editorial strategy for The World’s digital platforms, manages all editorial content, supervises the digital editorial staff, and answers to the Digital Publisher and in coordination with The World EP/Editor in Chief. Both editorial leaders share the goal of serving The World’s audience, growing The World’s digital reach and engagement and delivering journalistic excellence across platforms.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a deep understanding of and interest in global issues, experience managing and leading a digital editorial operation and demonstrated success in delivering consequential journalism. Mastery of digital storytelling and platform fluency is required; audio experience is a plus.
This person is steeped in international, current affairs, and aggressively seeks out surprising angles and ideas that help illuminate our interconnected world. They help push the boundaries of global storytelling, and constantly think of beyond-broadcast opportunities for all stories and interviews.
A key member of the editorial team, the Digital Executive Editor is industrious, curious, passionate and mission-driven; dedicated to both innovative journalism and the highest standards of editorial integrity. They actively think about the audience and how the show interacts with them, affects them, serves them, and reaches them across platforms
We want someone with superb drive – to be first, to be creative and able to help The World set an original agenda. The show values ambition; the ideal candidate can reliably deliver the kind of high-quality journalism that moves the needle on international issues; engages our audience with the right voice and tone, and generates buzz for The World with audience, stations and in the media industry.
The World is committed to bringing new, diverse voices and sources from around the globe to a public media audience; this person will play a critical role in delivering on that promise. They actively contribute to a work environment that is respectful, safe and where all people are urged to perform to the best of their abilities.
- Develop a digital editorial content strategy and calendar and define editorial roles and workflows.
- Build, manage and mentor a team of digital and social media editors and reporters.
- Oversee reporting and content creation for TheWorld.org, social and mobile platforms.
- Communicate and build team buy-in on digital editorial goals and strategy with The World staff, generate content ideas, coordinate with the EIC/EP and manage current news related assignments and longer-term projects.
- Cultivate and supervise a network of digital editorial contributors.
- Contribute to the formation of a fully integrated broadcast and digital newsroom, work closely with broadcast colleagues to support development of digital content that extends the reach and visibility of The World.
- Contribute to all editorial discussions and relevant fundraising efforts with demonstrated knowledge of what increases digital interest and support.
- Meet company objectives agreed to in funding commitments to The World.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Represent The World, PRI, and PRX in public events and industry settings.
- Excellent and demonstrated leadership and management of journalism teams at various levels.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Superior writing and editing skills, under deadline pressure, for both short turnaround news items and narrative-driven feature content.
- Demonstrated ability to create and package digital content to grow audience and drive reach and engagement.
- Exhibit a deep understanding of digital audience behavior including experience using tracking, analytics, and content management systems.
- Experience with multimedia content is required, audio production experience is a plus.
- Comfortable working with cutting edge publishing tools and social media platforms.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced newsroom setting and adjust smoothly to changing assignments.
- Ability to work closely with editorial, management, promotion, marketing and fundraising colleagues in a collaborative manner under deadline.
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent organizational, project planning, presentation and time management skills with careful attention to detail.
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of people using diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- 60% - Work closely with the editorial team to report, write and edit timely articles and analyses, make freelance assignments, locate partner coverage, produce weekly newsletters and develop special reports/packages in order to meet The World’s editorial objectives and goals.
- 20% - Day to day and long-range editorial planning for digital projects.
- 10% - Help determine broad digital objectives and identify high-impact digital opportunities.
- 10% - Guide day-to-day social media output.
This position is based in Boston, MA.
PRI’s The World is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life. We encourage everyone to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.