Introduction; Consent to Terms
The contents of PRI Websites are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. You may not reproduce, distribute, transmit, display, prepare derivative works, or perform any copyrighted material on PRI Websites without the prior written consent of PRI or the applicable owner or licensor of such content, as the case may be, except as provided below. You may copy and print a limited amount of content for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided that you include all copyright and other notices contained in the content and that you do not modify the content. Any other use of PRI content requires prior written permission from PRI. For permission requests, contact PRI here.
PRI Websites contain content that is proprietary to PRI. This content may include, without limitation, software, text, images, photos, video, graphics, music and sound. You acknowledge that you do not have or acquire any ownership rights by accessing or otherwise using such content.
Public Radio International, PRI, The Takeaway, The World and Studio 360 are service marks owned by Public Radio International, Inc. All rights reserved. You may not use any of these service marks, logos or graphics without prior written consent, except that you may use the PRI-provided logos contained in a PRI.org RSS feed in connection with the personal, noncommercial use of PRI’s RSS feeds, subject to the requirements set forth below in RSS Feed policy.
Other program names listed on PRI.org are the service marks owned by other organizations. You can visit each program website to determine the owners of its service mark.
PRI does not allow framing of its Websites.
Links to Websites
PRI encourages and permits links to content on PRI Websites. However, PRI is an organization committed to the highest journalistic ethics and programming standards and to independent, noncommercial journalism, both in fact and appearance. Therefore, the linking should not (a) suggest that PRI promotes or endorses any third party's causes, ideas, Websites, products or services, or (b) use PRI content for inappropriate commercial purposes. We reserve the right to withdraw permission for any link.
Links to Third Party Sites
PRI provides links to Internet sites maintained by third parties, over which PRI has no control. PRI does not endorse the content, operators, products or services of such sites, and PRI is not responsible or liable for the content, operators, availability, accuracy, quality, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available from such sites. PRI shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, products or services available on or through such sites. Refer to the “Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitation of Liability” section below for PRI’s complete disclaimer of warranties and limitation of liabilities.
PRI’s RSS feeds consist of a selection of headlines, news article and summaries and links to web sites, which can be delivered to your desktop using a technology called XML (extensible Markup Language) (individually, an "RSS Feed" and collectively, the "RSS Feeds"). The RSS Feeds are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. All rights in and to the RSS feeds are reserved to PRI.
RSS feeds are available for personal, noncommercial use only. You may display, excerpt from, and link to the RSS Feeds on your personal web site, weblog, or similar application for personal, noncommercial purposes, provided that (a) the links redirect the user to the PRI Websites when the user clicks on them, (b) the use or display does not suggest that PRI promotes or endorses any third party causes, ideas, Websites, products or services, (c) the fundamental meaning of the content contained in the RSS Feeds, including the headlines and summaries, is not changed or distorted, and (d) you do not modify the news stories or other content that are linked to by the RSS Feeds.
If you display an entire RSS Feed Content on your personal website, weblog or similar application, (a) you may not redistribute the RSS Feed, and (b) you must provide attribution to PRI adjacent to the RSS Feed Content.
PRI Websites also may contain RSS feeds from other content providers. The content contained in these feeds is provided for PRI Website visitors for their personal, non-commercial use and may not be copied or redistributed without the express permission of those providers.
Use of the Service
If you use the Service, including by participation in PRI Comments or by submission of essays, e-mails or other information via PRI.org, you must follow a few simple rules:
- You may not post, upload or transmit any messages or materials anonymously or under a false name or a false email address.
- Obscene, racist, belligerent or sexually explicit language will not be tolerated on PRI Comments. This includes variant spellings of obscene words or the use of * or other marks to avoid using the actual words. PRI may delete any post that we deem to contain foul language or to be otherwise inappropriate without warning. In the case of repeated offenses, PRI retains the right to terminate your posting privileges.
- We do not tolerate communications that may be unlawful or harmful to other PRI users. We do not tolerate posts that aim to insult anyone or are hateful, harassing or abusive.
- You may only post, upload or transmit materials for which you have the copyright or other permission to distribute electronically. This includes newspaper or magazine articles, song lyrics, and graphics. You may not violate, plagiarize, or infringe on the rights of third parties, including copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy, personal, publicity, moral or proprietary rights. You promise and represent that any posted, uploaded, included or transmitted materials will be owned by you or in the public domain.
- If we determine that removal of a post or other content is necessary, we will make every effort to do so within a reasonable time frame. However, making deletions or other corrections is a manual process and may not happen immediately.
- The Service can only be used for non-commercial purposes. You cannot distribute or otherwise publish any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising or solicitation for goods and services.
- You may not post, upload or transmit any software or other material which contains a virus or other harmful code or device. You may not use the Service to distribute chain letters, mass mailings or "spam" or to gather e-mail addresses for the purpose of sending "spam" to other users of the Service.
- By posting, uploading or transmitting any material on or through the Service, you hereby grant PRI a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide license to use that material in all media, whether or not now known.
You agree that you will indemnify and hold harmless PRI, its affiliates and its and their respective owners, directors, officers, employees, members, agents and licensees from any and all claims, liabilities, costs or expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees, arising from (1) your breach of any of the above representations and warranties, (2) your use of the Service, (3) the materials you have posted, uploaded or transmitted in Comments or on or through the Service, (4) PRI publication, distribution or use of such materials, or (5) any violation or alleged violation of law by you.
Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitation of Liability
THE SERVICE AND ANY PRODUCTS SOLD ON OR THROUGH THE SERVICE ARE AVAILABLE ON AN "AS IS", "AS AVAILABLE", AND “WITH ALL FAULTS” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. PRI DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICE IS SAFE OR SECURE. PRI DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE OR THAT DEFECTS IN THE SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED. NOR DOES PRI MAKE ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE SERVICE OR AS TO THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY OR COMPLETENESS OF CONTENT OF ANY INFORMATION, SERVICE, PRODUCTS, OPINIONS, OR STATEMENTS AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE SERVICE OR THROUGH LINKS ON THE SERVICE. USE OF THIS SERVICE IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. PRI IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OR CONTENT OF THIRD PARTIES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, PRI’S LICENSORS), AND YOU RELEASE PRI, ITS AFFILIATES, AND ITS AND THEIR OWNERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS, AGENTS AND LICENSEES FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS AND DAMAGES, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY CLAIM YOU HAVE AGAINST ANY OF THE FOREGOING PARTIES. IN NO EVENT WILL PRI, ITS AFFILIATES, AND ITS AND THEIR OWNERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS, AGENTS OR LICENSEES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE OR RELATING TO ANY PRODUCTS SOLD ON OR THROUGH THE SERVICE, EVEN IF PRI HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL PRI, ITS AFFILIATES, AND ITS AND THEIR OWNERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS, AGENTS OR LICENSEES BE LIABLE FOR ANY AMOUNT IN EXCESS OF $100. APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW FOR THE DISCLAIMING OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES AND/OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, LIMITATIONS, AND/OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH CASES, COMPANY’S DISCLAIMERS SHALL BE EFFECTIVE, AND ITS LIABILITY SHALL BE LIMITED, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
PRI respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide the following information in writing to PRI’s Copyright Agent:
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright.
- a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- a description of the material that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material.
- information so that we can contact you, such as address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of a copyright that is allegedly infringed.
PRI's Copyright Agent can be reached as follows:
Public Radio International
401 2nd Avenue North, Suite 500
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Upon PRI’s receipt of a proper notice of claimed infringement under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), PRI shall respond expeditiously to follow the procedures specified in the DMCA to resolve the claim between the notifying party and the alleged infringer who provided the content in issue, including, where applicable, removing, or disabling access to content claimed to be infringing or by removing or disabling access to links to such content.
Policy Concerning Children
If you are under age 13, you are not authorized to post any personal information about yourself to the Service or provide any personal information about yourself to PRI. If PRI learns that it has collected personal information from a child under age 13, PRI shall delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that PRI might have any information from a child under age 13, please contact PRI at the address set forth in above in the “Copyright Agent” section.
PRI appreciates your feedback or other suggestions about the Service, but you understand that PRI may use your feedback or other suggestions without any obligation to compensate you for them.
The Service is controlled and operated within the United States. If you are a user of the Service outside the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. PRI makes no representation that content, materials or products available on or through the Service are appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. If you access the Service from a location outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with applicable laws, including U.S. export laws and regulations.
Resolution of Disputes
Subject to the “Copyright Agent” section above, PRI is under no obligations to resolve, or facilitate the resolution of, any disputes between you and any third party, including, without limitation, any end user of the Service.
Limitation on Claims
Any cause of action you may have with respect to your use of the Service must be commenced within one (1) year after the claim or cause of action arises.