Many of the 14 countries named on the airline security list are accusing the US of racial and ethnic profiling.
From new global alliances to simmering conflicts, these were the important events not covered by mainstream media in 2009....
By every index, the Danes are some of the happiest people in the world -- sociologist Peter Glindelock explains why....
In his speech in Oslo, President Obama defended the US role in Afghanistan, arguing the use of force could bring lasting peace....
The 1984 gas leak in Bhopal, India destroyed thousands of lives; but in the US, the disaster led to better regulation of industrial hazards....
Connie Hedegaard, chair of Copenhagen climate summit, says US will loose out if it doesn't take on leadership role....
From politics to revolutions and branding -- the history behind geographic name changes around the world....
Berlin Wall squatter development, Lohmule, may be a model for sustainable urban living today....
Analysts believe President Obama's Peace Prize a symbolic gesture to highlight shift in international climate....
What the US and President Obama can learn from Canada's long and difficult road to universal health care....
- Hezbollah declares public support for Assad's ruling Syrian regime
- Palestinian prisoners represent lightning rod issue for both Israelis and Palestinians
- Runners honor Boston in first international marathon in Bethlehem
- Pakistan boosts national pride by breaking world records
- Egyptian-American man sends a message while running last week's Jerusalem marathon
- Palestinian man's death in Israeli jail leads to speculation about third intifada
- Syrian opposition moves conflict closer to Damascus
- Abu Dhabi hospital focuses on patients of the avian kind
- Israeli soccer team trying to get handle on racism among fans
- Palestinian protesters take page from Israeli settlers' book
- Experts see North's hands in reported computer attack on South Korea
- North Korea increases rhetoric, threatens pre-emptive nuclear strike
- Japanese photographers volunteer to help tsunami, earthquake victims find memories
- In China, a new building has a nearby knockoff before its even built
- China's new leadership faces challenges in the new year
- North Korea conducts third nuclear test in challenge to global community
- California professor leading project to get Vietnamese immigrant to tell their own story
- Migrant workers in Thailand in line for a raise -- if they can prove they're legal
- Pakistanis question government's use of bans on cell phones, other tech
- Popularity of 'white weddings' surges in Japan, leads to shortage of officiants
- Mali's last master calligrapher escapes violence in Timbuktu with ancient manuscripts in tow
- Militants in Mali take hostages in Algeria
- Increase of French forces in Mali, hopes to end ongoing crisis
- Tourist trade dries up as Mali struggles with Islamist insurgency
- In Africa, Malians forced to flee, frustrated by lack of progress
- Chips Funga: Kenyans transform term for French fries into slang for one-night stand
- After Libyan revolution, multi-cultural community torn apart
- Women in Sierra Leone face high barriers to participation in politics
- South Africa introduces new currency design, honoring Nelson Mandela
- Next generation of Mali musicians face a country that won't let them perform