Politics and Society
In this election cycle, there's been no shortage of memes. Binders full of women, horses and bayonets, and many others. Often, those memes play out in videos on YouTube, which have totally changed the election conversation.
The general cemetery in Santiago, Chile, is a place where families come together. In life, and in death, sports teams, families and all manner of people choose to live the after-life together. The living regularly tend their graves and visit their departed family members....
As the northeast picks up from the hurricane that roared ashore this week, election officials are left trying to figure out how to hold elections in places where residents have been evacuated and power is spotty, or non-existent. In Ocean County, N.J., they've adapted their vote-by-mail system to compensate....
President Barack Obama generated positive feelings with much of the Latino community this summer when he announced a deferred deportation program for young, undocumented immigrants. But as the program is implemented, there's a hole. Those same youths are still ineligible for healthcare coverage under the Healthcare Reform Act....
Errol Morris makes political ads, among other TV and movie productions, and even made a series of commercials in support of John Kerry's losing campaign in 2004. His latest project, though, is apolitical, and looks at why Americans just don't vote....
For Filipinos looking for a taste of heir homeland, Jollibee is ubiquitous. With more than 900 locations in the Philippines and a growing number of branches abroad, the fast food chain blends American style fast food with a uniquely Filipino culture....
Mitt Romney often talks about his heritage in Mexico, and his faith in the Mormon Church. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has a complicated history in Mexico -- it's growing rapidly today, but more than 100 years ago it was a place Mormons went to avoid a prohibition on polygamy....
Brits are known for having a certain stiff upper lip. Keep Calm and Carry On and such. But recently, that stiff lip has, well, slackened. Take Andy Murray, who cried his way into British hearts during Wimbledon....
In their debates, Mitt Romney and Barack Obama have clashed repeatedly over the economy. In the final debate, Romney vowed to focus on Latin America, an area where he said Obama hasn't engaged — but is that even possible?...
The United States needs to focus less on building U.S. manufacturing jobs, a laudable goal to be sure, and more on retaining the entrepreneurs that are educated in her universities. That's the argument author Vivek Wadhwa makes and he says the solution is simple: more visas....
- European Union prepares to adopt 24th official language as costs mount, calls for English rise
- U.K. tries to get back to business, make sense of brutal attack on British soldier in London
- In Tornado Alley, weathercasters admired for keeping communities safe
- Spaniards outraged by new, strict EU regulations on olive oil
- James Rosen case prompts frank discuss about balance between First Amendment, national security
- Syrian mother struggles over whether to return to husband, home as civil war rages
- Deadly tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburbs, killing dozens
- Syria’s civil war ends long quiet in Israeli-controlled Golan Heights
- American diplomat expelled from Russia for spying evokes memories of Cold War
- While 11 million people may live in U.S. illegally -- the impact extends to millions more
- Catholic priests in Philippines bring Mass to shopping malls to meet the people
- Among Myanmar's large Buddhist population, monks, monasteries play important role
- 'I am a Mormon' campaign launches in London, in response to play's debut
- Yangon Muslims watch nervously as violence spreads in Myanmar
- New Pope Francis gets less than warm greeting from Venezuela
- New book seeks to guide Orthodox Jewish newly weds in sexual intimacy
- Latino Catholics in the U.S. embrace Catholic Church's new Argentinian pope
- Argentina's Dirty War revisited after new pope is elected
- Catholic Church unveils Pope Francis as next leader
- Bulgaria chooses new religious leader -- with complex past
- States consider reforms to help domestic workers move out of shadows
- Ukraine’s Asgarda martial arts program recasts Amazon warrior women
- Undocumented immigrant caregiver tells story from inside invisible workforce
- Meat processing across the Midwest largely done by immigrants
- China's hukou system puts migrant workers at severe economic disadvantage
- Ethnic Karen refugees from Myanmar find foothold in North Carolina
- Pakistani women have new tools to fight disfiguring acid attacks
- Some immigrant women, victims of domestic violence, afraid to seek help
- Grand jury will convene to consider more charges in Ohio rape case
- Congress holds hearing on changing how military handles sexual assault cases