Politics and Society
Rep. Gabby Giffords made her first public appearance in her district on Sunday, commemorating the first anniversary of the attack that killed six and nearly took her life, as well as 12 others.
Some 18 percent of Republican voters and 19 percent of independent voters say they can't bring themselves to support a Mormon running for president. The church is hoping to show that its members are just like all Americans and they're running a series of ads seeking to do just that....
Shawn Macdonald is accused of a racially motivated attack on Papi Ngoqo, a Black Vancouver man from South Africa. The attack happened in 2008, but charges — and the racial angle — are just now being brought....
Rick Santorum took Mitt Romney to the mat in Iowa and walked away with a tie. Now he's taken the mantle, perhaps, of the leader of the not-Mitt group of Republicans. Whether he can hold that role remains to be seen....
After four days of fires in Los Angeles County, police arrested Harry Burkhart. He's now charged with 37 counts of arson causing millions of dollars in property damage. If he's convicted, he could serve a life sentence....
Ron Paul is perhaps the most libertarian of all of the Republican presidential candidates, but does that make him truly representative of Libertarian ideas. Some Libertarians are having a hard time supporting Paul — and a few are even worried that he's damaging their movement....
When Mohammad Salman Hamdani heard about the terrorist attacks on 9/11, the NYPD cadet and trained paramedic rushed to Ground Zero to help out. He died in the wreckage. But because he wasn't yet an NYPD officer, he's been left off the list of first responders who died in the attack....
After coming in a distant sixth in the Iowa Caucuses Tuesday night, Michelle Bachmann announced Wednesday that she was dropping out of the race to be the Republican presidential nominee....
A record number of Iowan, more than 120,000, turned out for the Republican caucuses Tuesday night and by the narrowest of margins shoved Mitt Romney out the door in the lead for the race to be the GOP presidential nominee. He came in first, just ahead of Rick Santorum....
Republicans, seeking to explain their seeming inflexibility and unwillingness to compromise, are wrapping themselves in the flag of Ronald Reagan. They're bristling, however, when confronted with examples of Reagan raising taxes and even compromising....
- Syria’s civil war ends long quiet in Israeli-controlled Golan Heights
- American diplomat expelled from Russia for spying evokes memories of Cold War
- While 11 million people may live in U.S. illegally -- the impact extends to millions more
- Tel Aviv offers insights as Boston prepares permanent memorial to Boston Marathon victims
- Police in Cleveland trying to figure out how man hid abducted women for a decade
- Fence along U.S.-Mexico border near San Diego represents a barrier and a bridge
- Purported Israel's strike on Syria seen in wider context of Hezbollah, Iran
- Post-Holocaust 'avenger' tells stories of revenge squads
- Obama administration considering providing weapons to Syrian rebels
- Israeli ambassador spells out concerns with ongoing Syrian civil war, chemical weapons
- Among Myanmar's large Buddhist population, monks, monasteries play important role
- 'I am a Mormon' campaign launches in London, in response to play's debut
- Yangon Muslims watch nervously as violence spreads in Myanmar
- New Pope Francis gets less than warm greeting from Venezuela
- New book seeks to guide Orthodox Jewish newly weds in sexual intimacy
- Latino Catholics in the U.S. embrace Catholic Church's new Argentinian pope
- Argentina's Dirty War revisited after new pope is elected
- Catholic Church unveils Pope Francis as next leader
- Bulgaria chooses new religious leader -- with complex past
- American rabbi elected to Israeli Knesset with hopes of bridging sectarian divide
- States consider reforms to help domestic workers move out of shadows
- Ukraine’s Asgarda martial arts program recasts Amazon warrior women
- Undocumented immigrant caregiver tells story from inside invisible workforce
- Meat processing across the Midwest largely done by immigrants
- China's hukou system puts migrant workers at severe economic disadvantage
- Ethnic Karen refugees from Myanmar find foothold in North Carolina
- Pakistani women have new tools to fight disfiguring acid attacks
- Some immigrant women, victims of domestic violence, afraid to seek help
- Grand jury will convene to consider more charges in Ohio rape case
- Congress holds hearing on changing how military handles sexual assault cases