Politics and Society
Arizona Rep. Gabby Giffords, still recovering from the shooting that nearly took her life last January, turned in her resignation on Wednesday. A special election will be held to find someone to occupy her seat temporarily.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer published a book a few months ago with an unflattering portrayal of a meeting with President Barack Obama. When the two met Wednesday at an airport in Phoenix, Obama took issue with that portrayal in what, at times, looked like an intense discussion....
Scotland and England have been united under one government for more than three centuries. But there's a movement afoot among Scottish leaders to have a referendum on whether Scotland should be separated from England....
President Barack Obama's 2012 State of the Union address was more partisan and more confrontational than perhaps any he's given, but it still had the aspirational rhetoric for which he has become well-known....
A new bill in France makes it a crime to deny genocide in France. The Turkish government is outraged because the law also makes it a crime to deny that the Ottoman Turks massacred millions of Armenians during World War I....
Newt Gingrich tried to cement his role as the front-runner to win the Florida Republican Primary at Monday night's debate. But a newly assertive Mitt Romney was also in it to win, trying to salvage a campaign that had seemed inevitable winner just a few days ago....
Newt Gingrich picked up a double-digit victory in South Carolina over one-time frontrunner Mitt Romney on Saturday. With less than a week to go, the election turns toward Florida, where Romney may be able to use his campaign war chest to his advantage. But Gingrich is already surging....
Gabrielle Giffords will step down this week, about a year after being shot and nearly killed. Giffords, a Democratic Representative for Southern Arizona, left the door open for a return to political life....
Beneath what is now the Battery Tunnel and the site of the World Trade Center is the remains of Little Syria, the first stop for Arab American immigrants who came to the United State near the turn of the 20th Century. Now, a small group is trying to save a six-story building that marks the history....
Public school districts struggling with whether to teach ethnic studies, or climate change, or even evolution, are just enacting the latest act of long American drama. History, as presented in American classrooms, isn't always the final word on what happened....
- Syrian mother struggles over whether to return to husband, home as civil war rages
- Deadly tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburbs, killing dozens
- Syria’s civil war ends long quiet in Israeli-controlled Golan Heights
- American diplomat expelled from Russia for spying evokes memories of Cold War
- While 11 million people may live in U.S. illegally -- the impact extends to millions more
- Tel Aviv offers insights as Boston prepares permanent memorial to Boston Marathon victims
- Police in Cleveland trying to figure out how man hid abducted women for a decade
- Fence along U.S.-Mexico border near San Diego represents a barrier and a bridge
- Purported Israel's strike on Syria seen in wider context of Hezbollah, Iran
- Post-Holocaust 'avenger' tells stories of revenge squads
- Among Myanmar's large Buddhist population, monks, monasteries play important role
- 'I am a Mormon' campaign launches in London, in response to play's debut
- Yangon Muslims watch nervously as violence spreads in Myanmar
- New Pope Francis gets less than warm greeting from Venezuela
- New book seeks to guide Orthodox Jewish newly weds in sexual intimacy
- Latino Catholics in the U.S. embrace Catholic Church's new Argentinian pope
- Argentina's Dirty War revisited after new pope is elected
- Catholic Church unveils Pope Francis as next leader
- Bulgaria chooses new religious leader -- with complex past
- American rabbi elected to Israeli Knesset with hopes of bridging sectarian divide
- States consider reforms to help domestic workers move out of shadows
- Ukraine’s Asgarda martial arts program recasts Amazon warrior women
- Undocumented immigrant caregiver tells story from inside invisible workforce
- Meat processing across the Midwest largely done by immigrants
- China's hukou system puts migrant workers at severe economic disadvantage
- Ethnic Karen refugees from Myanmar find foothold in North Carolina
- Pakistani women have new tools to fight disfiguring acid attacks
- Some immigrant women, victims of domestic violence, afraid to seek help
- Grand jury will convene to consider more charges in Ohio rape case
- Congress holds hearing on changing how military handles sexual assault cases