Politics and Society
Back in 2008, climate change was an issue Sen. John McCain and then-Sen. Barack Obama mostly agreed on. It was real and needed to be dealt with. Today, it's an issue that Obama and his Republican challengers agree shouldn't be talked about. Thus are the politics of climate change in a time of economic stagnation.
Rick Santorum was the unquestioned winner on Wednesday night. When the results came in, he'd earned big victories in the Minnesota caucus and Missouri primary and a narrower, but still substantial, victory in the Colorado caucus....
The Washington Post conducted a lengthy investigation, published on Tuesday, that found U.S. Congress members earmarking $300 million for projects that in some cases quite literally go right past their front door. And there's no transparency to the process....
A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, in California, ruled that a voter-initiated constitutional amendment barring same-sex marriages is a violation of the U.S. Constitution. The decision sends the battle over Proposition 8 toward the U.S. Supreme Court....
As the middle class increasingly feels pressed from the bottom and the top, comments on CNN by Mitt Romney about not being concerned with the very poor have prompted a discussion about just what it is that is holding back the middle class — and the poor as well....
During the Super Bowl Sunday, one commercial was for a political group seeking to make small changed to the gun control laws in the country. The measures are backed by a 600-member coalition of big- and small-city mayors. In the ad, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Tom Menino starred....
Nevada and Maine will both hold caucuses this weekend to help determine who will win the Republican nomination to face Barack Obama in the presidential election. The candidates are concentrating on Nevada, where Mitt Romney received an endorsement from Donald Trump on Thursday...
Rhode Island is one of the most religious states in the country, heavily Catholic. So when a teenager protested the prayer that stands in her public school's gym, she knew it wouldn't be popular. But since a court ruled it must be taken down, she's received death threats and been called evil by elected officials....
Despite a resounding defeat in Florida, Newt Gingrich was looking for positives on Tuesday night, declaring that it was a two-man race and he was staying in until the end. Some political experts, however, say he'll have a tough road ahead of him....
Perhaps no man has made Super PACs more well-known than comedian Stephen Colbert. And he wouldn't be able to do that without the help of his attorney, former FEC commissioner Trevor Potter. Potter said the disclosures come too late and too slowly to help voters make decisions....
- Syria’s civil war ends long quiet in Israeli-controlled Golan Heights
- American diplomat expelled from Russia for spying evokes memories of Cold War
- While 11 million people may live in U.S. illegally -- the impact extends to millions more
- Tel Aviv offers insights as Boston prepares permanent memorial to Boston Marathon victims
- Police in Cleveland trying to figure out how man hid abducted women for a decade
- Fence along U.S.-Mexico border near San Diego represents a barrier and a bridge
- Purported Israel's strike on Syria seen in wider context of Hezbollah, Iran
- Post-Holocaust 'avenger' tells stories of revenge squads
- Obama administration considering providing weapons to Syrian rebels
- Israeli ambassador spells out concerns with ongoing Syrian civil war, chemical weapons
- Among Myanmar's large Buddhist population, monks, monasteries play important role
- 'I am a Mormon' campaign launches in London, in response to play's debut
- Yangon Muslims watch nervously as violence spreads in Myanmar
- New Pope Francis gets less than warm greeting from Venezuela
- New book seeks to guide Orthodox Jewish newly weds in sexual intimacy
- Latino Catholics in the U.S. embrace Catholic Church's new Argentinian pope
- Argentina's Dirty War revisited after new pope is elected
- Catholic Church unveils Pope Francis as next leader
- Bulgaria chooses new religious leader -- with complex past
- American rabbi elected to Israeli Knesset with hopes of bridging sectarian divide
- States consider reforms to help domestic workers move out of shadows
- Ukraine’s Asgarda martial arts program recasts Amazon warrior women
- Undocumented immigrant caregiver tells story from inside invisible workforce
- Meat processing across the Midwest largely done by immigrants
- China's hukou system puts migrant workers at severe economic disadvantage
- Ethnic Karen refugees from Myanmar find foothold in North Carolina
- Pakistani women have new tools to fight disfiguring acid attacks
- Some immigrant women, victims of domestic violence, afraid to seek help
- Grand jury will convene to consider more charges in Ohio rape case
- Congress holds hearing on changing how military handles sexual assault cases