Politics and Society
As Super Tuesday elections approach, three battleground states that are home to large populations of America's blue collar workers will be in play. But blue collar workers are swing group, economically liberal, socially conservative. So just who will they support next week, as well as in November.
The Soviets were well-known for the dark humor they used to get through the days. Now, as Russians protest Vladimir Putin's re-election campaign, many are turning back to that same dark humor....
Hispanic voters are up for grabs in the 2012 presidential election -- unhappy with Republicans, dissatisfied with Democrats -- and if one candidate could unite them on his side, they could swing the election....
Sen. Olympia Snow of Maine was the latest moderate congressional representative to decide that the partisan rancor that has enveloped Washington in recent years is so unlikely to get any better that rather than seek re-election, she's rather just go home. And that's only likely to make the partisan divide even worse....
Mitt Romney won the Arizona primary handily and eked out a victory in Michigan, giving him two victories he badly needed to help him build lost momentum in the race to win the Republican presidential nomination....
Russians head to the polls soon to choose a new president — who will likely be an old president. Vladimir Putin is expected to win re-election relatively easy, but there's growing discontent with him and political corruption in Russia, which has sent thousands into the street in protest....
Rick Santorum unleashed a robocall on Michigan Democrats, reminding them they can vote for him in the very tight Republican Primary. At the same time, Democrat groups are urging Democrats to get out to the polls and vote Santorum, to deny Romney a momentum-building victory....
Last week, the Maryland Senate approved a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage in the state. The bill, which follows a similar one from 2011 that died in Maryland's House of Delegates, now awaits the Governor's signature — scheduled for Thursday....
Three students were killed in a school shooting at a high school in Chardon, Ohio, on Monday. And while the deaths are tragic, stories of historic actions by teachers are beginning to come out — actions that may have led directly to saved lives....
Today marks the 40th anniversary of President Richard Nixon's historic visit to China. In February 1972, in the final years of the Vietnam War, Richard Nixon flew to China to meet with Chairman Mao Zedong and Premier Zhou Enlai. The meeting has been memorialized as the triumph of Nixon's career....
- Spaniards outraged by new, strict EU regulations on olive oil
- James Rosen case prompts frank discuss about balance between First Amendment, national security
- Syrian mother struggles over whether to return to husband, home as civil war rages
- Deadly tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburbs, killing dozens
- Syria’s civil war ends long quiet in Israeli-controlled Golan Heights
- American diplomat expelled from Russia for spying evokes memories of Cold War
- While 11 million people may live in U.S. illegally -- the impact extends to millions more
- Tel Aviv offers insights as Boston prepares permanent memorial to Boston Marathon victims
- Police in Cleveland trying to figure out how man hid abducted women for a decade
- Fence along U.S.-Mexico border near San Diego represents a barrier and a bridge
- Among Myanmar's large Buddhist population, monks, monasteries play important role
- 'I am a Mormon' campaign launches in London, in response to play's debut
- Yangon Muslims watch nervously as violence spreads in Myanmar
- New Pope Francis gets less than warm greeting from Venezuela
- New book seeks to guide Orthodox Jewish newly weds in sexual intimacy
- Latino Catholics in the U.S. embrace Catholic Church's new Argentinian pope
- Argentina's Dirty War revisited after new pope is elected
- Catholic Church unveils Pope Francis as next leader
- Bulgaria chooses new religious leader -- with complex past
- American rabbi elected to Israeli Knesset with hopes of bridging sectarian divide
- States consider reforms to help domestic workers move out of shadows
- Ukraine’s Asgarda martial arts program recasts Amazon warrior women
- Undocumented immigrant caregiver tells story from inside invisible workforce
- Meat processing across the Midwest largely done by immigrants
- China's hukou system puts migrant workers at severe economic disadvantage
- Ethnic Karen refugees from Myanmar find foothold in North Carolina
- Pakistani women have new tools to fight disfiguring acid attacks
- Some immigrant women, victims of domestic violence, afraid to seek help
- Grand jury will convene to consider more charges in Ohio rape case
- Congress holds hearing on changing how military handles sexual assault cases