Politics and Society
President Barack Obama is trying to tackle high gas prices by targeting what he says is oil price inflation caused by speculators and market manipulators. Republican are calling it a political gimmick, oil experts say the reason for high prices is high global demand.
Mitt Romney has some of the highest negative ratings of any presidential candidate in recent history. As he begins to turn toward a general election contest with Barack Obama, Romney will have to improve on that image....
The second day of what is expected to be a 10-week trial for Anders Breivik, the man accused of massacring 77 people in Norway last July, included provocative statements by the defendant. He insists his attack was motivated by goodness, and that he'd do it again....
The Trayvon Martin case caught national attention after authorities released several 911 calls made around the time of Martin's death. A debate is underway over whether or not sensitive material like 911 phone calls should be available to the public....
Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen caused some controversy Wednesday night when she made a comment on CNN suggesting Ann Romney and other stay-at-home mothers don't work. The comment has been decried by Democrats and Republicans, and Rosen has since apologized for the comment. However, the debate over Rosen's intent continues....
Iran's controversial nuclear plans continue to raise tensions. Israeli, European, and American leaders have slightly different policies regarding the threat of an armed Iran. The situation could come to a head this weekend when negotiations with Iran resume....
Underage sex trafficking is in the news again after Washington state enacted a law requiring websites like backpage.com to maintain documentation proving the age of escorts advertising on the site. Some argue that escort websites are better than the alternative, but, there does not yet appear to be a model for ending child prostitution....
George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who says he shot and killed Trayvon Martin in self-defense, will face second degree murder charges for his role in shooting the unarmed teenager who was walking to meet his father in Sanford, Fla....
Gu Kailai, the wife of powerful Chinese political leader Bo Xilai, was charged in connection with the murder of British businessman Neil Heywood, who was believed to have died in his hotel room in Chongqing. Bo was an up-and-coming political leader in China who has fallen from grace in the wake of a scandal amidst a leadership transition in the country....
Hugo Chavez has been president of Venezuela for 12 years -- and he remains popular. But the outspoken leader of the South American country is facing the toughest challenge of his electoral career from Henrique Capriles, and it comes at a time when Chavez is battling cancer....
- Syria’s civil war ends long quiet in Israeli-controlled Golan Heights
- American diplomat expelled from Russia for spying evokes memories of Cold War
- While 11 million people may live in U.S. illegally -- the impact extends to millions more
- Tel Aviv offers insights as Boston prepares permanent memorial to Boston Marathon victims
- Police in Cleveland trying to figure out how man hid abducted women for a decade
- Fence along U.S.-Mexico border near San Diego represents a barrier and a bridge
- Purported Israel's strike on Syria seen in wider context of Hezbollah, Iran
- Post-Holocaust 'avenger' tells stories of revenge squads
- Obama administration considering providing weapons to Syrian rebels
- Israeli ambassador spells out concerns with ongoing Syrian civil war, chemical weapons
- Among Myanmar's large Buddhist population, monks, monasteries play important role
- 'I am a Mormon' campaign launches in London, in response to play's debut
- Yangon Muslims watch nervously as violence spreads in Myanmar
- New Pope Francis gets less than warm greeting from Venezuela
- New book seeks to guide Orthodox Jewish newly weds in sexual intimacy
- Latino Catholics in the U.S. embrace Catholic Church's new Argentinian pope
- Argentina's Dirty War revisited after new pope is elected
- Catholic Church unveils Pope Francis as next leader
- Bulgaria chooses new religious leader -- with complex past
- American rabbi elected to Israeli Knesset with hopes of bridging sectarian divide
- States consider reforms to help domestic workers move out of shadows
- Ukraine’s Asgarda martial arts program recasts Amazon warrior women
- Undocumented immigrant caregiver tells story from inside invisible workforce
- Meat processing across the Midwest largely done by immigrants
- China's hukou system puts migrant workers at severe economic disadvantage
- Ethnic Karen refugees from Myanmar find foothold in North Carolina
- Pakistani women have new tools to fight disfiguring acid attacks
- Some immigrant women, victims of domestic violence, afraid to seek help
- Grand jury will convene to consider more charges in Ohio rape case
- Congress holds hearing on changing how military handles sexual assault cases