Politics and Society
On the second stop of his three-nation foreign tour, Mitt Romney found himself walking back remarks that seemed to indicate he endorsed a pre-emptive Israeli strike on Iran. A day later, he was on the defensive again after he offended Palestinians with comments about their poverty.
One week after the Colorado shooting, Adam Gopnik takes a look back at what happened and what needs to change. Though it's impossible to say that violence in American pop culture causes mass murdering, Gopnik says, the two are connected. Has the cost of movie violence gotten too high?...
Australia requires mandatory attendance at its polls on Election Day. Why not the United States? Roll Call columnist Norman Ornstein argues mandatory voting would do more than boost voter turnout. He says it would improve the entire U.S. political system. ...
In the wake of last week's deadly shooting at an Aurora, Colo., theater that left 12 dead and many wounded, firearm sales surged amidst fears of changes in gun control laws. ...
Mitt Romney is on his first international trip as presumptive Republican presidential nominee. As part of his trip, particularly in London, he's hosting fundraising dinners for Americans living abroad....
Mitt Romney is on tour. On Wednesday he arrived in London, where he'll watch the Olympic opening ceremony Friday before heading to Poland and Israel. The trip could provide a better glimpse into Romney's foreign policy platform....
There was a proposal to require certain female athletes, used to competing in shorts, to switch to skirts. After an outcry, that proposal was rejected. But what women wear when competing in the Olympics remains a hot-button topic....
Investigators have yet to uncover a motive behind 24-year-old James Holmes' deadly assault in a Colorado movie theater last week. Whether the attack qualifies as an act of terrorism is a complicated question that may not have a conclusive answer. ...
In November, Minnesota voters will decide on a proposed constitutional amendment that reinforces the state's ban on same-sex marriage. The upcoming election has forced many Somali immigrants to come to terms with their beliefs on gay marriage, an issue many consider taboo. ...
The Republican party's largest financial backer, multi-billionaire Sheldon Adelson, is under federal and state investigation for his business practice in Macau. The investigation puts Mitt Romney in an awkward position....
- European Union prepares to adopt 24th official language as costs mount, calls for English rise
- U.K. tries to get back to business, make sense of brutal attack on British soldier in London
- In Tornado Alley, weathercasters admired for keeping communities safe
- Spaniards outraged by new, strict EU regulations on olive oil
- James Rosen case prompts frank discuss about balance between First Amendment, national security
- Syrian mother struggles over whether to return to husband, home as civil war rages
- Deadly tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburbs, killing dozens
- Syria’s civil war ends long quiet in Israeli-controlled Golan Heights
- American diplomat expelled from Russia for spying evokes memories of Cold War
- While 11 million people may live in U.S. illegally -- the impact extends to millions more
- Catholic priests in Philippines bring Mass to shopping malls to meet the people
- Among Myanmar's large Buddhist population, monks, monasteries play important role
- 'I am a Mormon' campaign launches in London, in response to play's debut
- Yangon Muslims watch nervously as violence spreads in Myanmar
- New Pope Francis gets less than warm greeting from Venezuela
- New book seeks to guide Orthodox Jewish newly weds in sexual intimacy
- Latino Catholics in the U.S. embrace Catholic Church's new Argentinian pope
- Argentina's Dirty War revisited after new pope is elected
- Catholic Church unveils Pope Francis as next leader
- Bulgaria chooses new religious leader -- with complex past
- States consider reforms to help domestic workers move out of shadows
- Ukraine’s Asgarda martial arts program recasts Amazon warrior women
- Undocumented immigrant caregiver tells story from inside invisible workforce
- Meat processing across the Midwest largely done by immigrants
- China's hukou system puts migrant workers at severe economic disadvantage
- Ethnic Karen refugees from Myanmar find foothold in North Carolina
- Pakistani women have new tools to fight disfiguring acid attacks
- Some immigrant women, victims of domestic violence, afraid to seek help
- Grand jury will convene to consider more charges in Ohio rape case
- Congress holds hearing on changing how military handles sexual assault cases