Business and Economy
A report out last week documented pages and pages of evidence that concludes Lance Armstrong was at the center of a doping ring. On Wednesday, Armstrong began to lose sponsors and announced he would resign as chairman of the very charity he founded.
Unemployment fell to 7.8 percent in September after the economy added 114,000 jobs and total employment increased 873,000. In addition, the labor department revised upward previous months' employment reports....
Arthur's Day, celebrated last Thursday, has been a way for Guinness to get itself back into pubs across Ireland and to get the Irish out of their homes and back into the bar....
South Koreans are spending money with reckless abandon, taking out loans and maxing out credit cards to pay their bills. They're doing it, usually, in hopes of improving their socioeconomic status, but economists say they may be banking on an unsteady foundation....
Italy's unemployment rate is more than 10 percent, but among the young, it's vastly worse. Perhaps 35 percent, or worse. So a growing number of young Italians, and a few others who are out-of-work, are turning to the country's organic farms, where they can learn a skill, and keep a roof over their heads and food in their stomachs....
Spain's banks are moving to get rid of homeowners who aren't paying their bills. But, at the same time, they're turning to taxpayers to give them a hand, with a multi-billion dollar bank bailout. That has Spanish activists taking to the streets in protest....
Billionaire American casino magnate Sheldon Adelson has a plan to jumpstart Spain's slow economy: Vegas. No, he's not taking the national fortune to the craps table -- he wants to build a Vegas-style resort in Madrid. He says it will draw 10 million people per year....
The Federal Reserve's Open Market Committee is hoping to cut unemployment by injecting more capital into the economy. This is third attempt by the Fed board to stimulate the economy and get people working again....
Spain's Catalonia region, in the northeast part of the country, wants its independence. It's been a goal of many for a while, but with Spain's economy continuing to languish, discord has broken out in visible ways, manifested Tuesday in a march that according to some drew as many as a million people....
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernake has been signaling in recent days that it may be time for another round of economic measures to bolster the economy. The board of the federal reserve meets on Tuesday, and eyes are on Bernake to see if he'll move now....
- Woman pulled alive from rubble of Bangladesh factory collapse; expert calls for reform
- Far from Pacific home, Micronesians making Missouri home
- Spain's weak economy leads families to abandon domesticated horses to die
- Obama, Boehner aiming for post-Christmas deal to avoid fiscal cliff
- In India, economic growth hasn't led to food security
- 6 questions that help explain how the fiscal cliff will affect you
- Charlotte restaurant serves up free meals, jobs, fellowship for homeless
- Economist says the American retirement system has failed
- Libor manipulation scandal may have cost cities and states millions in losses
- For many, federal unemployment benefits will expire sooner than expected
- California group helps immigrants move into traditional financial sector
- Chilean social entrepreneur saves families money by taking detergent out of its packaging
- Communities seek to forge small business ties between Mexico, U.S.
- Singapore transplants create iPad app, comic book spinoff, to teach Chinese to English speakers
- Pakistani man turns dust into treasure
- Asian market in Missouri becomes hub of many different immigrant communities
- Successful energy development program in Haiti shut down because of funding
- Arab Spring presents opportunities for Middle Eastern women entrepreneurs
- Columbia University janitor graduates with degree in Classics
- 'Cash Mobs' profit locally owned stores
- South African students face real danger in simply getting to school each day
- China's economy at crossroads between freer enterprise, state control
- Chinese land reform efforts move ahead with more fits than starts
- China's one-child policy increasingly being questioned
- Asia Development Bank imagines fleet of electric trikes to help Manila
- No Excuses: Year begins at ascendant science-focused school in South Africa
- Activists call for renewal of diplomatic relationship between Iran, U.S.
- United Arab Emirates makes Missouri town beneficiary of expanded endeavor on foreign aid
- Ethiopia's economy benefiting from emigrants returning home
- My Micro NY creates smaller living for New York City
- FoodCorps grows food for education and change
- Public Radio International acquired by Boston public broadcaster WGBH
- Federer's Wimbledon win generates six-figure donation to British charity
- Susan G. Komen foundation reverses decision to defund Planned Parenthood
- California-based Cold War museum tries to preserve reminders of bygone era
- Peace Corps looking for more volunteers among AARP age group
- America's food pantries find rising need leading to empty shelves as Thanksgiving arrives
- The Tavis Smiley Show's "Poverty in America" – Children and Education
- The Tavis Smiley Show's "Poverty in America" – Seniors
- What PETA hopes its .XXX porn site will do for animal rights