Business and Economy
With unemployment among blacks double that of whites, many are advocating overt, targeted efforts to create jobs among African-Americans. One CEO says we should implement something like the NFL's Rooney Rule for corporate America.
An angry Bank of America customer has launched an online petition to protest the bank's planned debit card fee of $5 per month. Almost 225,000 people have signed it....
The booming mining industry in Australia is encroaching on the farming industry, which has been till now, deeply rooted in the country's culture....
Plane tickets through Europe may get more expensive soon, as airlines may start paying for carbon emissions. Some American carriers have called the charges illegal. ...
A proposed bill before the US Senate puts duties on goods from China that the US deems artificially cheap -- China says passage of the bill would trigger a trade war....
John Harold hired jobless Americans to help on his farm, and says they proved to be less reliable and less willing to perform the hard work than foreign workers....
The German public is getting fed up with lending a helping hand to Greece, and Greeks who live in Germany are feeling the tension....
Reebok may have to refund customers who have bought EasyTone footwear due to the company's false claims that the shoes actually help tone muscles simply through the act of walking....
High-tech companies say it’s difficult to find and recruit talent, because there is a dearth of qualified engineers and other technical job seekers....
Koch Industries, one of the world's largest privately held companies, sold millions of dollars worth of petrochemical equipment to Iran....
- Woman pulled alive from rubble of Bangladesh factory collapse; expert calls for reform
- Far from Pacific home, Micronesians making Missouri home
- Spain's weak economy leads families to abandon domesticated horses to die
- Obama, Boehner aiming for post-Christmas deal to avoid fiscal cliff
- In India, economic growth hasn't led to food security
- 6 questions that help explain how the fiscal cliff will affect you
- Charlotte restaurant serves up free meals, jobs, fellowship for homeless
- Economist says the American retirement system has failed
- Libor manipulation scandal may have cost cities and states millions in losses
- For many, federal unemployment benefits will expire sooner than expected
- California group helps immigrants move into traditional financial sector
- Chilean social entrepreneur saves families money by taking detergent out of its packaging
- Communities seek to forge small business ties between Mexico, U.S.
- Singapore transplants create iPad app, comic book spinoff, to teach Chinese to English speakers
- Pakistani man turns dust into treasure
- Asian market in Missouri becomes hub of many different immigrant communities
- Successful energy development program in Haiti shut down because of funding
- Arab Spring presents opportunities for Middle Eastern women entrepreneurs
- Columbia University janitor graduates with degree in Classics
- 'Cash Mobs' profit locally owned stores
- South African students face real danger in simply getting to school each day
- China's economy at crossroads between freer enterprise, state control
- Chinese land reform efforts move ahead with more fits than starts
- China's one-child policy increasingly being questioned
- Asia Development Bank imagines fleet of electric trikes to help Manila
- No Excuses: Year begins at ascendant science-focused school in South Africa
- Activists call for renewal of diplomatic relationship between Iran, U.S.
- United Arab Emirates makes Missouri town beneficiary of expanded endeavor on foreign aid
- Ethiopia's economy benefiting from emigrants returning home
- My Micro NY creates smaller living for New York City
- FoodCorps grows food for education and change
- Public Radio International acquired by Boston public broadcaster WGBH
- Federer's Wimbledon win generates six-figure donation to British charity
- Susan G. Komen foundation reverses decision to defund Planned Parenthood
- California-based Cold War museum tries to preserve reminders of bygone era
- Peace Corps looking for more volunteers among AARP age group
- America's food pantries find rising need leading to empty shelves as Thanksgiving arrives
- The Tavis Smiley Show's "Poverty in America" – Children and Education
- The Tavis Smiley Show's "Poverty in America" – Seniors
- What PETA hopes its .XXX porn site will do for animal rights