Arts and Entertainment
Network TV, as a group and as individual networks, had a rough year, losing big chunks of audience. But in terms of shear size and revenue totals, tehy're still the biggest game in town. And one magazine editor says this is the networks to take chances to regain their cultural relevance.
Motherhood is celebrated this weekend with Mother's Day. Isabella Rossellini, the acclaimed actress and director, is out with her own new look at motherhood in a sometimes-disturbing series set to debut on the Sundance Channel....
Mark Schneider is a big deal among the war re-enactor set. He's often tapped to play the role of Napoleon, and he's in the running to play Napoleon in the biggest re-enactment in years: the 200th anniversary re-enactment of the Battle of Waterloo....
When it comes to accents, they paint a picture in people's mind. And they can make or break the character. That's born out in real life and on the silver screen. Renée Zellweger was widely praised for her English accent in Bridget Jones’s Diary -- and Radovan Karadžić managed to evade authorities for years, in part through a fake accent....
Magicians rely on secrets to keep on doing their tricks. And, in some cases, they rely on secrecy to be able to afford to do their magic over the long-haul. But, there's no legal protections, really, for most magicians secrets. And that means ripoffs and knock-offs are increasingly common....
Mexico's Maya people have a culture that is distinct, and all their own. So while the rest of Mexico goes nuts about soccer, the Mayans are more baseball people. And that love for baseball continues, even when those people move to new places, like the U.S....
In the world of video streaming, Netflix is king. But as Amazon and Hulu amp up to be more competitive, TV critic Willa Paskin says, Netflix and its original programming are changing how people watch television and shaping what television becomes in the future....
Al Jazeera is expanding its international reach with the creation of Al Jazeera America. Media scholar Traci Griffith says, despite criticism of Al Jazeera's coverage of the United States, its entrance into the market is good for media literacy and diversity....
The National Football Leagues faces a lawsuit claiming the NFL put its business relationship with official helmet maker Riddell before the safety of its players. The lawsuit also accuses the helmet company of making inadequate football helmets for years, despite improvements in their latest line....
Edie Falco worked for years on your typical network TV shows. But when she moved to the premium channels for roles on Oz and The Sopranos, her career really took off. Now appearing on stage and on screen, she often finds herself playing the role of a woman who is deeply troubled....
- Eddie Huang discusses memoir, growing up Taiwanese-American
- Book 'Ghana Must Go' explores the lives of Afropolitans
- Widely praised author Stephane Hessel dies -- with one book still to publish
- Academy Award-nominee Life of Pi inspired by much older book by Brazilian author
- Classic book 'Of Mice and Men' under scrutiny in Turkey
- The Giver author describes upcoming fourth book; movie in the works
- Modern Hamlet achieves record-breaking Kickstarter campaign
- Stella Rimington: The real woman behind James Bond's M
- New book looks tells fictional tale of post-euro Europe
- Andrew McCarthy's new book tells tale of transition from movie star to travel writer
- Musician Dom La Nena's debut album fits her diminutive name
- Darcy James Argue's 'Brooklyn Babylon' almost never was
- U.K.'s hot new singer Jessie Ware debuts new album in the U.S.
- Thatcher's legacy includes activists songwriters who challenged her tenure
- Legendary Indian classical musicians bring songs to United States
- Long-lost Jimi Hendrix concert recording finds new life
- Musicologist collects Saharan music with cellphones
- Utah band blends American folk music with Chinese instruments
- Hungarian surf rock band breaks new ground in nation's music scene
- Spanish-turned American Flamenco artist releases album inspired by colors of spring
- Photographer captures images of movie sets preserved in African desert sands
- Borgia's Jeremy Irons has perfected role of being bad
- Magic, friendship and thrills among movie new releases this weekend
- 'Girl Rising' documentary highlights importance of girls' education in the developing world
- Best picture winner Argo, nominees Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty draw criticism
- Play #OscarsBingo with PRI and Studio 360
- Warm Bodies, Bullet to the Head out in theaters this weekend
- Brothers Grimm fairy tale Hansel and Gretel gets superhero upgrade
- CIA plays active role in managing its image in Hollywood films
- Zero Dark Thirty, out this weekend, 'remarkably accurate' yet still controversial
- New York's Museum of Modern Art reconsiders decision to raze neighbor
- New York's Museum of Modern Art 'acquires' @ for its permanent collection
- Irish actress plays singular role in Broadway's Testament of Mary
- Tom Hanks says he aspires to appear in a completely silent movie
- Provocative artist Charles Krafft goes public as Holocaust denier
- New play about Isaac Newton tells story of time he supposedly put a needle in his eye
- Can creativity be measured with a score?
- Architect proposes natural-inspired rethink of New York City waterfront
- New exhibition at N.Y.'s Met looks at roots of photo manipulation
- Cambodia trying to reassert ownership of potentially looted cultural artifacts