A gas leak is the suspect in a restaurant explosion that killed 14 people and injured 47 in Jinzhong, China.
Wu Dongyong, who was in the restaurant, told Xinhua news:
"The explosion happened on the first floor. We could not see anything after the explosion. When the fire started, we were able to escape from the restaurant. I escaped on my own, most of us ran out ourselves. But we don’t know what happened after we escaped. I think it might have been caused by a gas leak. My hand was injured when I ran out from the restaurant."
AFP News notes China has a "notoriously" poor health and safety record.
The Associated Press points out explosions in China's restaurants is common.
On November 14, 2011, a liquefied petroleum gas leak exploded in a restaurant in the city of Xian, killing seven people.