A man has accidentally killed his girlfriend after firing a homemade cannon into their mobile home in California.
The LA Times reports that the incident happened shortly after midnight near rural Potrero in eastern San Diego County.
The man had been working on the cannon with at least one other friend when it went off, the newspaper says.
More from GlobalPost: Human Canonball daredevil dies in stunt gone wrong (VIDEO)
NBC San Diego named the man as Richard Fox (39) and say he has been charged will firing the cannon that killed his 33-year -old girlfriend.
It quotes deputies as saying that Fox loaded the cannon with powder from fireworks, and that shrapnel from the explosion went into the side of the trailer.
A dispatcher with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said he had been drinking and was "freaking out", according to local 10 news.
He was treated in hospital for a leg injury and was questioned by investigators who are trying to determine if drugs and alcohol were involved.
ABC News says that the couple's four-year-old daughter who was sleeping in the mobile home at the time of the explosion escaped unharmed.