JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — Nelson Mandela has resumed his daily routine since returning home Sunday from hospital, the South African presidency said today.
Mandela, who underwent a diagnostic procedure to investigate what was described as a long-standing abdominal complaint, spent a night at an undisclosed hospital and is now recuperating at home with family. The former president "has resumed his normal day to day life," a statement said.
Mandela, 93, was said to be in no danger, and is in fine condition for his age.
The office of President Jacob Zuma said there will be no further updates on his hospital visit.
Given the intense media attention, South African officials said Monday that a task team will be established to handle future news releases on Mandela's health and hospital visits, in a way that won't "negatively impact on Madiba's dignity and his family's privacy," government spokesman Jimmy Manyi said.
More from GlobalPost: Mandela 'fine' after diagnostic laparoscopy for abdominal complaint
This latest health scare for the man South Africans call "Madiba," after his Xhosa clan name, has highlighted the special place that Mandela has in the hearts of South Africans.
Mandela has been in frail health in recent years, and every whiff of a health problem sparks intense interest in the South African and international media.
Last year, the anti-apartheid icon was hospitalized for treatment of respiratory problems. His January 2011 stay at Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg sparked a media frenzy, and promises by government to in future keep the public better informed about any developments with Mandela's health.
There have since been reports about a "turf war" over the release of information about Mandela's health.
Special report from GlobalPost: Mandela's village: South Africa's road from Qunu